PDA

View Full Version : new ssd, clean install windows 7

mcucs
09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
i recentally purchased a ssd and would like to do a clean install of windows 7 on my existing computer to this new ssd and use my existing hdd for storage.

case: coolermaster storm sniper
psu: corsair hx series cmpsu 750 watt
mobo: gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
processor: intel core i7 930
cpu cooler: coolermaster v8
ram: corsair dominator 6gb ddr3 1600 pc3 12800
hard drive: (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=792) w.d. caviar black, 7200 rpm, 1tb, sata 6gb/s
gpu: his radeon hd 5850

new ssd (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=788) w.d. siliconedge blue 128 gb, 2.5 inch ssd

ok... so im left with a couple of questions.
1. i understand windows 7 oem is limited to being installed on only 1 computer, and that it can't be transfered to another computer.... however hardware can be swapped out and a clean install on a new drive isnt a problem. if this is correct how much hardware can you swap? is there any hardware that cant be swapped? and is there any limits on how frequently you can swap hardware??

2. does this sound like a logical process for my clean install...or is there a better way??
a.power off computer and remove old hdd.
b.install new ssd. (all with anti-static strap of coarse)
c. clean install of windows 7 oem onto new ssd, bios to remain in achi.
d. re-install old hdd.
e. wipe old hdd clean with a scrubbber.. i have a program on tune-up utilites (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832818003) for this.

my tech-level is somewhat low so any comments on possible snags or better ideas would be appreciared.
thanks in advance for advice
mcucs.

The Wise Monkey
09-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Windows 7 is much more flexible about re-installations on new hardware than XP was, so you should be fine. If not, you will have to call up Microsoft and explain the situation to them, which is a pain, but is definitely easier than buying a new copy. It usually only happens if you change everything in the system rather than just the HD.

That process for cleaning everything up looks pretty good. You could probably just do a format of the old drive without using a specific tool.

vinpaysdoc
09-22-2010, 07:04 AM
I bought a 64 gig SSD with the idea I could simply transfer the OS from my existing HD on my desktop to the SSD. Yes, I'm not tech savvy. The SSD is currently installed but I have not written anything to it yet. After reading a bit, I'm now planning on doing a clean install of Windows 7 to the SSD and then wiping the existing HD to use as storage. I have a few questions about the process before I get in too deep. Here's the plan:

1. Unplug the existing 400 gig HD
2. Boot with OEM Windows 7 and install to SSD (any formatting issues or will Windows 7 handle that?)
3. Install programs to the SSD
4. Reconnect the 400 gig HD and then reformat it for storage.

Questions I have are:

1. Once the clean install is done, will Windows 7 assign the SSD as Drive C:?
2. When I reconnect the 400 gig HD which OS will boot? Vista from the HD or Windows 7 from the SSD?
3. Do I need to do something to the HD to change its drive assignment?

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but, I thought the original poster might benefit from this discussion as well.

Thanks,
G

The Wise Monkey
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
That plan looks good. I'll try and answer the questions in order:

1. Yes, the SSD will appear as drive C in Windows 7, but will appear as a different drive letter if you boot into your old OS
2. You should get a choice of OSs to boot from, but if not just make sure that the SSD is above the other HD in the boot order in the BIOS
3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this...

vinpaysdoc
09-22-2010, 10:28 AM
3. Just wasn't sure if I needed to change any physical settings for the HD regarding Slave/Master issues. I found the answer to this in another thread.

Thanks,
G