PDA

View Full Version : Power on -- off -- on ... etc.

garyb
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a similar first boot problem to Tel's with one big difference. Once my computer gets into the BIOS, it stays there until I exit. OK, here are the details:

Most all the components are like Rob's super computer. The relevant components are:
Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU = Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
Video card = EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896MB DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0
PSU = CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
RAM = Crucial Ballistix 2 GB DDR3

I have not installed any of my drives (HDD and DVD) so they do not enter into the problem at this point. I also have plugged in a Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard (USB based).

I have been experiencing this problem since I first tried the first boot, which has been over a three-day period. The symptoms have varied somewhat, so I will describe them in the order that they have occurred. First, the PC would power on and off numerous times without any intervention on my part. The on-off cycles lasted about 10 seconds each with one continuous beep during each cycle (my system speaker is attached and working). This sounded like the problem Rob describes with CPU fan detection. After several times of this on-off business, I just happened to leave it running for an extended period of time (15 minutes?) and suddenly the splash screen appeared on my monitor. Not being prepared for this, it timed out and went to the "no boot disk" display and stayed there.

Since that occurrence, I have been able to get to the splash screen and from there to the BIOS setup many times. Once in the BIOS utility, the PC remains there until I exit or power down. Getting there can take as little as 2 minutes or as long as 10 minutes. Each cycle seems to take a different length of time. Also, the original on-off cycling has only occurred once since the original attempts. Usually, the PC stays up, but the long beeps keep occurring each about 10 seconds long with silence for about 5 seconds between each one.

I have tried several remedies, none of which solved the problem. I have checked the wiring over and reseated the video card and the two memory modules. I have also switched them and tried only one at a time. I have removed the motherboard from the case to ensure that it isn't a shorting problem. In fact, if the wiring was incorrect or the seating not good, the PC would not have come up and stayed up which it did numerous times. I have also removed the CPU cooler fan and it appears to be mounted just fine. I have also cleared the BIOS several times, including removing the battery for an hour.

I have noticed one thing that may be the heart of the problem. When the BIOS comes up, the CPU temperature shows 46º C and slowly falls to 39º C. I am thinking that the temperature sensor is malfunctioning and keeps the motherboard from booting until the sensor indicates the CPU temperature is in the upper 40s.

I think I shall RMA the motherboard early this week. My 30 days are almost up, so I don't have a lot of time to wait. If anyone has any suggestions on this matter, please let me know right away. Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
08-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, it seems like you have tried pretty much everything that we would usually recommend, so RMAing the motherboard is probably the best option at this point. Intermittent faults are always the worst.

Tel
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
For what it's worth, I've also RMA'd the motherboard (and the CPU/fan), and I'll update the group with results when I get new ones back.

garyb
08-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your replies. Just as Tel, I have decided to RMA both the CPU and the Motherboard because I can't isolate the problem any further down. I realize that it's probably the Mobo, but it could be the CPU fan having a problem communicating with the Mobo. Since I only have a couple of RMA days left and since these two components are the most expensive items, I couldn't afford to take the chance on only returning the Mobo.

BTW: I got both these items at Amazon.com and they have always been excellent at handling cost-free exchanges.

zburns
08-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Mostly what you describe is the computer not getting out of BIOS mode which means you are not using much of the mobo circuitry. Sounds like you are "hanging up" or "freezing" at the BIOS point. If one stick of your RAM is faulty, it can cause a "hang up" in the BIOS stage. I suggest you try one stick at a time in your first RAM slot and leave the other out to see if that makes a difference.

I recently had a similar problem of being "locked in" at the BIOS stage. Turned out to be one stick (of four sticks) of RAM (covered in dust). Removed that one stick and its matched mate, and everything fine from that point. Running on two sticks right now instead of four. My problem went on for months but I could live with it; it finally froze up in the BIOS and stayed there; that is when I started swaping out the individual sticks of RAM.

I have another question. If you have not installed hard drives or the DVD drive, seems to me you have no where to go with the boot process beyond the BIOS. If the BIOS software is looking to "hand off" the start up process to the boot drive and does not see one, what happens then. I have no experience in this area, just using logic. After a successful BIOS start up, the next stage is to "boot" which has to begin with the "boot drive". (Have not done this for two years so I may be leaving some point out. What do Rob's instructions say?)

Anyway, hope some of this will help. The RAM problem I describe is personal experience.

garyb
08-31-2010, 08:54 PM
My replacement parts (CPU and Mobo) arrived this afternoon and I put things together. The PC fired up right away without any problems. Just to be sure, I tried it multiple times with a success each time. Things are spread out in breadboard fashion. I didn't want to put everything back into the case until I verified that it worked. I especially wanted to make sure that if it didn't work, it wouldn't be from the Mobo shorting against the case. My next step is to pack things into the case, test the "first boot" once again, and then install the hard drive. I now have high hopes for a complete success.

I would like to comment about my supplier, Amazon.com. Yesterday, I decided to RMA the CPU and Mobo, as I have stated before. I downloaded the UPS return label, packed up the parts, and dropped them off at the nearest UPS pickup point. There were no return charges of any kind. A new order for the parts had been automatically generated and were on there way. Amazon sent the new parts by overnight air and they arrived today all the way from Memphis TN. Again, there was no charge! That is what I call super service.

I would now like to reply to Zburns. I appreciate the response. I had mentioned in my original description that I had tried different combinations of my two memory modules and that didn't solve the problem. The problem statement was rather long and that fact was easy to miss. Sorry. As far as freezing in the BIOS, that is not what happened. The problem was getting into the BIOS. Once there (sometimes after 15 minutes of on -- off cycling), things seemed to work all right. When I would exit the BIOS, the search for a boot disk started. After a short period, the monitor reported that a boot disk could not be found. That is where it stopped because I had not yet installed the hard drive.

The Wise Monkey
09-01-2010, 03:07 AM
That is excellent service. Shame that there was a problem, but to have it all sorted so quickly is brilliant.

Let us know how it goes when you have it all set up.

zburns
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
GaryB,

Thanks for the reply; glad you are running. I wrote my post because I did not think you had tried one stick at a time, even after reading your post several times!! Asleep at the wheel, that's me on this one!

Your test setup to test your system up to the boot drive, I find helpful. It is the first time I have seen clear language about running such a setup or a "test" for troubleshooting reasons. Thanks for a valid new suggestion!!