PDA

View Full Version : Crazy powerful desktop computer

TheAgustin
08-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi there Rob, I just found this site and seems amazing !

I wanted to write you directly so I can get some guidelines on building my next super computer myself.

Currently I have a DELL Optiplex Intel Quad Core with 8 gb ram, Vista x64, need to get something bigger, I need to run too many applications at the same time and I run out of memory fast, or it start acting poorly.

I want something big, like the 6 cores i7 Extreme, and pour 32 or 64 gb of ram on it. I know a desktop OS will not support that much memory (or would it?) but I can install a Windows Server version.

What do I need to get there in terms of hardware (coolers, motherboard, etc. etc.) ?

Look forward to getting some insights.

Cordially, Agustin.

Rob
08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the good words. I don't know that I'm the best one to ask for such a beast. Let's move this to a more general message board and give everyone a shot at it.

The Wise Monkey
08-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi Agustin, welcome to the forums.

I would recommend looking at a server motherboard, as this should support the amount of RAM you require. This will also allow you to use a Xeon CPU, or the AMD equivalent, if you so desire. What exactly will you be using it for?

TheAgustin
08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I have to run several applications that make intensive usage of disk and memory such as design and image processing applications. Most of the time I also have to run database server applications and host other versions of windows inside my main installation.

Memory and CPU power always gets short for me, after a while.

The server approach sounds reasonable, I need the massive memory allocation (32 - 64gb), but also a super processor like the 6 cored i7 980 extreme.

Does it make sense ? What is the best hardware setup for this kind of high end build ?

The Wise Monkey
08-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Wish I had $1000 to spend on a CPU! :D

Anyhow, it may be wise to look at a dual-CPU setup if you need to have so much processing power available. For example, this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182176 combined with a pair of these CPUs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117231, plus whatever RAM you need would be a very good investment. If this isn't something you want to look at straight away, you could always buy one CPU and then add another at a later date if necessary.

Another thing to possibly consider would be using an SSD or two for your databases or applications, as this would provide an excellent performance boost. Round this off with a large hard drive for storage, and you'll be set.

TheAgustin
08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Wow that may be exactly what I'm needing ! If it's a $1000 cpu it is going to be only one for a good while... I may be even cheaper to put 2 quad cores there, or am I wrong ?

The database server is for development and testing purposes only, so an SSD may be overkill to my pocket, but the speed rates look so damn tempting.

Also this DDR3 1333 seems a good candidate, is that a good brand ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161381&cm_re=ddr3_1333-_-20-161-381-_-Product

Now if you could help my with this life doubt, why the Xeon processor for server motherboards ?

Thanks a lot wise monkey for your guiadance :: )

TheAgustin
08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
WTF ?!?! I can get a 12 cores AMD for the same price ?!?!

The Wise Monkey
08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
AMD is a good alternative, and they are releasing a new wave of chips within the next 12 months, which offer a whole new architecture. Intel are definitely the performance leaders at the moment, especially with the latest Xeons, but the 12-core AMD CPUs are an excellent deal. Newegg only has one dual-G34 socket (AMD) motherboard available at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643 but this should be supported for many years to come with their new architecture.

For the RAM, it is cheaper getting two lots of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220423. The motherboard I suggested has 18 RAM slots, so you can always add as much as you need.

If you wanted to go for two Intel quad-cores instead, then the E5520 is a very good CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117185

I've always been a fan of Intel, and have more experience using their server CPUs, and they are definitely better if you are going to be using something like VMWare or some other virtualisation. However, the 12-core AMDs are a very tempting choice and may be better suited to your usage patterns.

As for your question about Xeon processors, they are the only ones compatible with the dual CPU setup; the normal i7s just don't work. If you were sure about sticking to only one CPU, then you could go for a normal desktop board and an i7 950, but this may limit you in terms of the amount of RAM you could have.

TheAgustin
08-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Dear wise primate, thanks a lot, you really got me going in the right way.

Can't find an 8/12 cored AMD in Argentina regrettably, perhaps in 6 months from now they will be more available. The 6 cores are more common.

If I buy it from overseas, customs forces me to pay 50% of the product cost, so I'll end up paying $1050 for a $700 chip.

Dell is offering me an AMD Magny Cours setup for $12.000 ... :eek: ... hilarious !

We'll see what's out there in 6 months from now. At that time I'll be contacting you again to get some pointers for other components, such as coolers and disk arrays :: )

Cordially,
Agustin

The Wise Monkey
09-01-2010, 03:05 AM
OK, that's fair enough. :)

TheAgustin
05-15-2011, 09:57 AM
After a year it's almost time to replace my current PC and go ahead with your suggestions (above).

But I'm in a bit of a predicament.
I'm unsure if I'd be better off with a server computer running two AMD 4180 6 cores 2.6Ghz in a dual socket, or with a desktop AMD 6 cores x 3.3Ghz

I think the price is not really different because I'm saving a lot by going with AMD instead of Intel.

So the question remains, would I benefit more with several slower cores, or fewer but faster cores ?

My job requires doing image processing, database development and testing in different virtual windows boxes running in the OS.

The server motherboard approach has the benefit of the amount of RAM I can pour (DDR3-1333), then again the desktop motherboard would support faster ram (DDR3-2200)

What do you think ?