PDA

View Full Version : Just joined!

dray24
07-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Ok, first lemme say I am a noobie. This site is pretty cool and informative. So, here is my situation. I just bought a house and so my $$ are a lil limited but I need a computer really bad. I have only been on this site for approx 15 minutes but after searching the FAQ, I still cannot find an approx cost for the one you say you bullt for youself. I am a lil skeptical of my ability to build this thing but I am a telephone man so I am assuming it cant be all that bad. Ok it's late and I am rambling, approx how much out of pocket am I looking at for a system similiar to the one on your website. I dont game now but since I will be stuck in my new house I may have to start.:eek:

Jamie Nixx
07-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Whats your estimated budget mate.

dray24
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, I would be happy around the $600 range but am willing to increase that to get a quality machine if I must

Jamie Nixx
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Right, firstly i suggest you build an Intel core 2 duo system since on the 22nd of july they are having massive price cuts due to the newer range of cores coming out.

Second, if you want to play games but don't want to spend much, get a 7900GS, this will play anything out now on high graphics.

You are going to need at least 1GB of ram

Harddrive ect.

I will give you a price list based on prices over here in the UK

core 2 duo E6300 will be around £75 (this price is before the price cuts on 22nd)
Motherboard (socket 775) will be around £60-70 if you want a decent one
7900GS will be around £100
1GB ram will be about £30
The case can be anything from £10 to £800 :eek:
You will need a decent power supply (at least 400 watts) £25
Harddrive (depends what size you want)
Optical drive (DVD r/w) around £20

This machine will be a beast and will be easily upgradeable plus it will be able to tackle any games around now with ease.

Hope this helps

Rob
07-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Looks like a good recommendation.

Jamie Nixx
07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Cheers Rob :D .

Dray24 here are some good manufacturers of components to help you out a little more and narrow your search a lil bit ;) .

Motherboards (pci-x16 all the way baby :D )

Asus
Foxconn (cheap but decent)
Gigabite
Steer clear of Abit (they are good but for a noob they are buggers to set up)

GPU's (make sure you build a pci-x16 system)

XFX
Gainward bliss
BFG
EVGA

Power supplies

Hiper (my personal favorite but very pricey)
Antec
Enermax (very good make)
Akasa
Seasonic

Harddrives

Seagate
samsung
Western digital

Ram

OCZ
Geil
Patriot
Corsair
Elixir (very good budget ram)
Kingston (also very good budget ram)

I am not very sure about the availabiltiy or prices of these parts in the USA but i am sure they are a lot cheaper than here in the UK. I believe newegg is a good site to get your parts from if you are in the USA.

dray24
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Ok, thanks for the intel. I guess I should wait till the 22nd to start ordering my parts. Because this site is so great I think I will purchase the hard copy intructions just support the site.

Rob
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Ok, thanks for the intel. I guess I should wait till the 22nd to start ordering my parts. Because this site is so great I think I will purchase the hard copy intructions just support the site.

:) Now that's what I like to see. :)