PDA

View Full Version : Need help building my computer

alisterdavis
07-31-2010, 06:04 AM
I am in the process of building my own computer. Please keep in mind that I'm fairly new to this so please explain everything in easy to understand language. Thanks in advance.
So far this is the specs i have for my computer:
Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: i7 930
Graphics card: NVIDIA eVGA GTX 470
Ram: Corsair 8GB (4x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123A 12x Blu-ray/DVD Combo Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Chassis: NZXT Lexa S
PSU: Corsair HX-1000 1000W ATX Modular Power Supply
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Green

First off please comment on anything that might need changing in the build I'm pretty new to this so i only know what i have read. I'm using the computer for gaming and basically want it to best the best of the best within a budget.

I'm going to SLI in the future hence the reason for such the large power supply, i also wanted to have the modular feature to try to reduce clatter in the case.

Advice on a network card would be very appreciated i do a bit of gaming online so i need a fairly decent one.

Also need help with cooling options. i don't want to do a water cooled system as this is my first build and i can just seem something going wrong. Advice on what heat sink to use would be helpful and any other cooling requirements i might need.

Also could someone please tell me what the speed of the bus on the i7 is and how to match that with the ram.

Thanks in advance and please remember to explain as much as possible.

RickyTick
07-31-2010, 02:25 PM
That's the wrong ram. Try something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145220

A better hard drive would be the Black instead of the Green.

alisterdavis
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Why is the ram that i have wrong?

RickyTick
07-31-2010, 09:46 PM
What you have is an 8GB memory kit (4 x 2GB) for use with Dual Channel DDR3 Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors. The X58 motherboard only works with triple channel ram like the one I linked to.

alisterdavis
07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
This is off gigabytes site for the GA-X58A-UD3R
Memory

1. 6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory(Note 1)
2. Dual/3 channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

Doesn't that mean that it will support both dual ram or the three channel ram and wouldn't it be faster to have the more ram? also it doesn't have the 1600MHz that the ram i select is does that mean that it won't support it or they just neglected to list it? I'm just speculating because i can get the 4 sticks for the same price as the 3