PDA

View Full Version : power supply question

garyb
07-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I am not doing this exactly right. I am planning to build the super PC like the one Rob is currently discussing. I plan to use the MO, processor, and HD that are described; however, the video card is more than I need. I am not a gamer, but I do need 4 monitors to simultaneously display multiple stock graphs and data. To accomplish this, I will need 2 video cards. I am thinking the GeForce GT 9800 by Nvidea will fill the bill. The card specifications state that a minimum power supply of 400 watts is required. My question is: will the 500 watt power supply suggested in the super PC setup be enough to power two of these video cards? A follow-up question is: if not, then how large a power supply do I need?

RickyTick
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I am not doing this exactly right. I am planning to build the super PC like the one Rob is currently discussing. I plan to use the MO, processor, and HD that are described; however, the video card is more than I need. I am not a gamer, but I do need 4 monitors to simultaneously display multiple stock graphs and data. To accomplish this, I will need 2 video cards. I am thinking the GeForce GT 9800 by Nvidea will fill the bill. The card specifications state that a minimum power supply of 400 watts is required. My question is: will the 500 watt power supply suggested in the super PC setup be enough to power two of these video cards? A follow-up question is: if not, then how large a power supply do I need?

Hello garyb. Welcome to the forums.

The 9800GT is good card. I noticed this 9800GT+ is at a nice price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

I would definitely be concerned about trying to power all that with a 400watt power supply. You might consider something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

garyb
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Thank you for your input RickyTick. I used the links you provided and found a particularly useful one. It is the NewEgg PSU Buying Guide. It has a lot of great information including how to approximate your output needs. I have been looking it over and learning quite a bit. BTW: there is a $20 mail-in rebate for the unit you suggested and it expires tomorrow ()7/28/10).