PDA

View Full Version : PC build for photoshop work .

kennysarmy
07-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I am proposing to build my own PC soon.

These will be the specs.

RAM
4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module

Processor
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156)

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4

GPU:
Point of View GeForce GTX 470 1280MB DDR5 Dual DVI HDMI PCI Express

Hard Disk 1 : OS/Apps
Samsung HD161GJ 160GB 8MB SATA (F1) 3.5 inch Hard Disk Drive

Hard Disk 2: DATA
Seagate ST3100 0528AS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Case
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case – Black

Power Supply
OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU - 1x PCI-E 6/8pin, 2x SATA 12cm Fan

DVD Writer
LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM with LightScribe SATA - Retail Box Black With Software

My question is should I be considering a third hard disk?
Will the addition of a SSD drive for CS3 scratch disk and windows 7 swap file really make any noticeable difference to the performance of the PC when I do a lot of RAW processing with Canons DPP or batch manipulation of files using CS3?

I intend to run windows 7 Pro on the pc.

Any other comments on the proposed spec. welcome.

Thanks.

RickyTick
07-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey Kenny and welcome.

Please let me offer a few suggestions on your build list.

You mentioned Photoshop work, but you didn't say anything about gaming. If you're not a hard core gamer, that GTX470 is way too much video card, plus your psu probably couldn't handle it anyway. You could save about $150 and go with something else and invest that money in a better motherboard and power supply.

If you're partial to Intel and want to stay with the i5 750, then I would suggest a different motherboard. Either the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P, or maybe an Asus P7P55D-E.

If you're willing to consider AMD, this would be a nice opportunity to venture into a 6 core processor. The Phenom II X6 1055T processor on an Asus M4A89GTD Pro motherboard would be a great combination.

For a power supply, the Corsair 650TX or 650HX is hard to beat, and would provide plenty of power.

The GTX470 is really a dead video card now. The GTX460 is a much better buy, or the Radeon HD5850. If you're not a gamer, then drop back a couple of notches to maybe a Radeon HD 5770 or 5750. Photoshop is not going to need a lot of 3d graphics processesing.

Hope that's helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

The Wise Monkey
07-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Kenny.

These are all good suggestions from Ricky, and should definitely be taken into consideration.

I would definitely recommend getting an SSD as an OS/scratch drive as the non-existent seek times would make a huge difference when manipulating large images, as well as boot and application load times.

You may also want to consider having more RAM, as multi-layer images can quickly take up a large amount of memory. It may be a good idea to see how you get on with 4GB and then add more if you find that you need it.

kennysarmy
07-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey Kenny and welcome.

Please let me offer a few suggestions on your build list.

You mentioned Photoshop work, but you didn't say anything about gaming. If you're not a hard core gamer, that GTX470 is way too much video card, plus your psu probably couldn't handle it anyway. You could save about $150 and go with something else and invest that money in a better motherboard and power supply.

If you're partial to Intel and want to stay with the i5 750, then I would suggest a different motherboard. Either the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P, or maybe an Asus P7P55D-E.

If you're willing to consider AMD, this would be a nice opportunity to venture into a 6 core processor. The Phenom II X6 1055T processor on an Asus M4A89GTD Pro motherboard would be a great combination.

For a power supply, the Corsair 650TX or 650HX is hard to beat, and would provide plenty of power.

The GTX470 is really a dead video card now. The GTX460 is a much better buy, or the Radeon HD5850. If you're not a gamer, then drop back a couple of notches to maybe a Radeon HD 5770 or 5750. Photoshop is not going to need a lot of 3d graphics processesing.

Hope that's helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

Thanks for such a quick response...

Firstly I won't be purchasing the GPU - it was given to me :) so I may as well incorporate it in to the build.

I used to game a fair bit on the PC but have a PS3 now - so not so much...but the option to play some games is nice...

What would the GA-P55A-UD4P give me over the GA-P55M-UD4 ?

I will check out the PSU's you mention - many thanks...

Kenny

RickyTick
07-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for such a quick response...

What would the GA-P55A-UD4P give me over the GA-P55M-UD4 ?

Kenny

The UD4P offers 2 ports with USB 3.0, the UD4 does not have any.
The UD4P has 2 SATA 6gb/s, and the UD4 doesn't. This provides a higher speed data storage transfer.

kennysarmy
07-18-2010, 07:16 AM
The UD4P offers 2 ports with USB 3.0, the UD4 does not have any.
The UD4P has 2 SATA 6gb/s, and the UD4 doesn't. This provides a higher speed data storage transfer.

Thanks...

The Asus P7P55D-E is looking a good bet too as Dab.com are doing it in a bundle with the processor...

:)

kennysarmy
07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
UPDATE:

Case & PSU...

After much research and youtube video watching I am thinking of going for:

Antec Advanced Super Mid TowerP183 & Antec CP 850 Continuous Power 850W PSU
instead of my original plan of
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case & OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU

Slightly more money but should give a much quieter system....

Hoping to start placing orders for this kit early next week.....