PDA

View Full Version : Building a new (gaming) PC.

TheLostSoul
07-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone,

Please forgive the lengthiness of this post, as I imagine it will be a bit long, but I have a fair few detailed questions. I'll keep each point numbered for ease of responding. I don't know an entirely lot about building PCs, which is why I'm here... to ask for opinions and suggestions. I've recently been reading reviews about some of my components and wondering if they'll be running optimally together. With this in mind, I realize it isn't truly possible to know until I actually put them together, but it helps to have some of this information beforehand. I'm the kind of guy who likes to put a lot of thought into something before I do it. So I want to take into consideration many elements of building this PC, since I plan for it to be a long-term investment.

I should start by saying that this is my first time building a PC and that I HOPE to progressively upgrade this machine. Get more RAM and 2x SLI maybe. But for now, I just require the basics. Like another recent post (http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=3313), I wish for this PC mainly to run Final Fantasy XIV and my current PC, an HP zd8000 laptop is beginning to show it's age. Other than that, I'm not a huge PC gamer; the next highest profile game I have is Doom 3 or Half-Life 2.

I also don't hope to spend an exorbitant amount on it. $1,500 is looking to be absolute maximum, but I would like to trim that down as much as possible without sacrificing the ability to upgrade farther down the road in case any other games pop up. Getting it down to $1,000 would be nice. I've checked out the budgeting builds thread but I'm not too excited about some of them somehow. For the "A Step Above" build, I don't know what the difference between the i5 and i7 is. Looking at a quick review on newegg for the CPU, it seems like i5 doesn't support hyper threading, or at least that CPU doesn't? So if I wanted hyper threading for my game that build is out. And I guess I just have more faith in Intel than AMD, so the other two builds don't look that appealing to me right off the bat. Here is what I've gathered myself: newegg wishlist (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13312585).

1. One of the primary reasons for seeking help here: I was reading a review for my motherboard, I believe, and someone pointed out it only had 1 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. And if I plan to add another graphics card for SLI, the review said the performance will be a little diminished since the other 2.0 slots are x4 and x8. I'm not sure entirely what effect these numbers have on performance. An alternative motherboard I've considered is this one: EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039). I chose EVGA boards because I figure compatibility between mobo and graphics cards would nearly be guaranteed and possibly more optimal, but I'm not sure if this is true. So I'm fine if anyone has any suggestions for other manufacturers.

2. Another primary (and probably common) concern I have: I'm not sure if my PSU is good enough. The xTreme Power Supply Wattage Calculator (from the useful links topic) recommended a 359W PSU, and newegg says I require a minimum 400W PSU for my graphics card, so I figured I'd overshoot a bit with 450W, plus it has the minimum amperage required (from newegg again) on +12v for my graphics card. But I'm still not sure it would be enough for the entire assembled machine. Would I need an 800W PSU for 2x SLI? Any advice on a better PSU to use?

3. I'm also considering a different case, perhaps the Antec Nine Hundred Mid instead of the Twelve Hundred Full. My concerns with it though, are the cooling capabilities. Having less space, all the heat would be more concentrated, and I'm not sure on how the wiring will fit (with either case). Also very open to suggestions to some other cases.

4. Since I'm primarily concerned about this computer for an MMORPG, could anyone vouch for any networking cards to help speed along my data transfer. I'm kind of worried about it not really making much of a difference. I've never particularly had any good luck with my ISPs, where my service is usually incredibly terrible for one reason or another (I'm 0/3 on ISPs spread out across two different states). As I'm writing this, I'm more or less reminded that these cards exist, so getting a networking card is mostly an afterthought, but I'm not sure about all the testimonies for any of them actually improving that much, expecially given my track record with ISPs. But I may be moving yet again soon, so... fourth time's the charm, as someone in my situation would say. I suppose this could be something to upgrade at a later date if I feel like I'd need it, but anyone have any opinions?

5. Also general compatibility between all my components is a concern. Will my memory work with my motherboard at it's best? Will the PSU have enough connectors? etc... Of course comments on any other components would be helpful as well.

So I'm really just concerned with a lot of "what if"s. I'm pretty concerned about heat I guess. I've only worked with a laptop for the past 6 years, so I feel like I'm more biased towards mitigating heat as much as I can. I'm not really familiar with how hot a typical desktop can run. I'm worried about the northbridge getting hot too, but the alternative mobo above seems to have a heatsink of some sort on it, so that gives me a little more comfort. Definately looking forward to any advice from anyone here. I appreciate any advice and I apologize again for asking you to read all of that. Thanks.

RickyTick
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the MySuperPC forums.

Sorry, but I haven't updated the Budget Build Recommendations in a few months, nor the High-End Build. I'll work on that this weekend. :)

A term we toss around a lot here is "bang for the buck". It's always our intention to suggest components that will more than adequately meet someone's needs and still be a reasonable price. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns when it comes to a PC and your wallet. There is also this thing called "future-proofing" your build. While future-proofing is not necessarily a myth, it's still a moving target and not easy to obtain.

Two things that are almost impossible to recommend are a Case, and a Monitor. Especially the case.
Let me start by saying that anything smaller than 21.5" monitor will be disappointing. There is a wide range of monitors out there, and they can be very expensive or very cheap. Stay with name brands, and look for dead pixel guarantees. If you want specific recommendations, we can give them.
As for a case, we all have different tastes, and what you might think is really cool, I might think is butt-ugly, or vice versa. Its really hard to look at pictures and get a good feel for how they look, so I always suggest people to go to 3dgameman.com and watch some of Rodney's video reviews. Go HERE (http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews). There are 3 dropdowns. On the left one, click Cases, and the middle one click 100% KickAss, and then click Apply. Watch some reviews and then decide. Personally, I like the Cooler Master HAF922 and HAF932. I also like the Antec 902. I really like cases without a door, and I love the one's with a black interior, but that's just me. :)

At first glance of the Wish List, here's what I see.
The i7-920 is obsolete
The 9800GT video card is old.
The 450 watt psu may not be enough
There are better hard drives for the same money or less.

Do a little research on this.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Ram: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Processor: Intel Core i7-930
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB, or the 1TB version.
Video Card: GeForce GTX 460 768mb

Take a look at THIS (http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/19159/1). I think you'll find it very helpful.

TheLostSoul
07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions, Ricky.

I've looked through some of the cases on 3dgameman.com and I think I've got a decent one that saves a ton of money. That's a very awesome site. Saving some money on the case is a very comforting notion considering your video card is much more expensive than what I originally planned for.
I figured I could spend my case savings a bit too so I went with the GTX 460. And with this new video card, I realized I could just connect the mini HDMI to my tv instead of getting a monitor right away. I figured that would be a good substitute until I can afford one. So that saved me $190 for now as well.

Your motherboard seems like it will be very nice for upgrading in the future. I was considering your PSU for before, but decided to downgrade to save a little bit, but after doing a bit more research decided the 650W would be a good choice.
Here's my updated wishlist (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15156846) if anyone's interested. I think this one's a winner... just gotta save up for it now.

RickyTick
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Awesome setup!! Love the case. I think my next one will be a Cooler Master.