PDA

View Full Version : New to building

Bandyn
07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I have decided it's time to build my own PC, instead of over-paying for something that isn't even exactly what i want. I have quickly run into a wall which is; i am very nervous about diving into this and have yet to find a comprehensive building guide. Everyone has to start somewhere and that's kind of what I'm looking for. So i figured forums would be the place to start as the mods seem very knowledgeable. I would describe myself as computer-savvy, I am a hardcore gamer, but I just don't know much about hardware or putting it together. Through some research i have come up with a partial list of parts that I'd like to include:

Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case | $109.95
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard| $119.99
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE | $99.99
(2) CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 |99.99 x2
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX | $179.99
SAPPHIRE 100297L Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity Technology | $199.99

That's it so far totaling $909.89 on Newegg.

PSU - I am unsure if the PSU is too much but from what I've read on that PSU, it's actually more powerful than listed so I'm pretty much set and won't exceed the power rating.

Cooling - Not a clue. From what I've read this is a very key issue but I have no idea where to start, help appreciated.

Graphics - Is the selected card enough to handle any top end game with some change? I have also seen concern that it is huge. Will i have problems fitting it in?

Sound - I will be listening to music and playing games but it's not a primary concern is it recommended to get a cheaper sound card over mobo sound?

Disc drive - Blu ray player is a maybe, I'll probably hold off and add it later. But I'd like DVD/RW 24x, not really an issue I can find this out myself or look at one of your recommended builds.

Lastly I want a dual monitor set-up. I'd greatly appreciate any info about whether something i chose cannot support that or doesn't have the kick to run it. Any Info on how to set that up would be great.

I know it's asking a lot but I'd love to get exactly what i need, from quality parts at a great price. If there is a step by step guide on how to put this together from opening the packaging on parts to booting it up I'd greatly appreciate the link.

Last question; I assume wires/cables come with the hardware, yes?

RickyTick
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I have decided it's time to build my own PC, instead of over-paying for something that isn't even exactly what i want. I have quickly run into a wall which is; i am very nervous about diving into this and have yet to find a comprehensive building guide. Everyone has to start somewhere and that's kind of what I'm looking for. So i figured forums would be the place to start as the mods seem very knowledgeable. I would describe myself as computer-savvy, I am a hardcore gamer, but I just don't know much about hardware or putting it together. Through some research i have come up with a partial list of parts that I'd like to include:

Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case | $109.95
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard| $119.99
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE | $99.99
(2) CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 |99.99 x2
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX | $179.99
SAPPHIRE 100297L Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity Technology | $199.99

That's it so far totaling $909.89 on Newegg.

PSU - I am unsure if the PSU is too much but from what I've read on that PSU, it's actually more powerful than listed so I'm pretty much set and won't exceed the power rating.

Cooling - Not a clue. From what I've read this is a very key issue but I have no idea where to start, help appreciated.

Graphics - Is the selected card enough to handle any top end game with some change? I have also seen concern that it is huge. Will i have problems fitting it in?

Sound - I will be listening to music and playing games but it's not a primary concern is it recommended to get a cheaper sound card over mobo sound?

Disc drive - Blu ray player is a maybe, I'll probably hold off and add it later. But I'd like DVD/RW 24x, not really an issue I can find this out myself or look at one of your recommended builds.

Lastly I want a dual monitor set-up. I'd greatly appreciate any info about whether something i chose cannot support that or doesn't have the kick to run it. Any Info on how to set that up would be great.

I know it's asking a lot but I'd love to get exactly what i need, from quality parts at a great price. If there is a step by step guide on how to put this together from opening the packaging on parts to booting it up I'd greatly appreciate the link.

Last question; I assume wires/cables come with the hardware, yes?

Hey Bandyn. Welcome the MySuperPC forums.

For a complete guide and tutorial on building a pc, simply go to the main page at www.mysuperpc.com and scroll down. You should find everything you need there.

Comments on you parts list:
*You can't use an AMD processor on an Intel motherboard. One of them has to change.
*If you're a serious gamer, you're going to be very disappointed with a 5830 video card.
*I don't see a hard drive listed. I would suggest the Wester Digital Caviar Black 1TB.

You could add a nice sound card. They're not too expensive. The Asus Xonar DX is nice. Personally, I just have a nice headset and use the onboard sound from the motherboard.

I have a dual monitor set-up and love it. I'll never go back to a single monitor. It's really very simple. Windows 7 will do all the work, all you have to do is plug it up. I would suggest getting two monitors with the same dot pitch. It just makes it smoother. Some like to have a large monitor and small monitor. I like for them to be the same size. It just works better for me.

A blu-ray player would be nice. The prices are getting reasonable now.

I hope that's helpful. Throw out any questions you may have.