PDA

View Full Version : Thermanl Compound On Side of CPU!!!!!!!!

rustygrant
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
My well intentioned friend was spreading thermal compound on my AMD Athlon x2 64 6000. He got a little bit on the side of the CPU, I tried to wipe as much off with a paper towel, there is still a little on the side...I'm freaking out. What can I do to remove it safely, and what are the repercussions of this?

Rob
07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think it should be a problem. Most thermal compound is not electrically conductive. For example, Arctic Silver is not electrically conductive. Even if a small amount of thermal compound were spilled on the pins, it would probably not be electrically conductive enough to cause a short-circuit.

You can clean thermal compound off the processor using a high-purity (say, 98%) isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth.

Jamie Nixx
07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Don't worry. It will be fine, cpu's are made of strong stuff.

If you don't have any arctic silver cleaner or akasa ect, nail varnish remover on a piece of tissue paper is the best way to go :D

rustygrant
07-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check whether it's conductive before I boot up. I've tried 91% alcohol (couldn't find any higher)...it didn't remove it. My friend has stronger hands (which are required for the Zalman 9500) and the compound had dried by the time it had dried. Again, thanks so much!