PDA

View Full Version : 1st boot - error at windows

noobonian
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I assembled computer and turned it on. The first thing I am trying to do is install windows. I told computer to boot off the CD-rom.

DMI goes well...

Blue screen "windows set" up

and it starts running through the paces (seems to stop about 3 or 4 tasks in)
it does: loading files, Kernel Debugger DLL, windows setup, pci driver, plug and play, (too many to keep up).... I think it stops at windows file NTIS (is that the hard drive?)

A blue error screen comes up (left most letters are cut off). it says:

problem has been detected and windows has been shot down to prevent damage your computer. If this is the first time restart computer

if this screen appears again:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space (my 650 GB is empty)
If driver is entified in the stop message disable the drive or check the manufacturer for driver updates (I can't get comp to start to get driver). Try changing video apters

check with your hardware vendore for any BIOS updates (how can I update). Disable OS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need use safe mode to remove or disable compenents, restart, press F8 to select advanced startup options, then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*STOP 0x0000007e (then for more long numbers)

*pci.sys - address F748e0BF at F748700, datestamp 3b7d855c

--------------------End of the error message--------------

I am using many of the components on the main webpage right now:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (quad-core)
Ram Crucial 4096MB (4GB) PC2-8500 CL5 DDR2
Video Card eVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB DDR3 PCI-E
Hard Drive WD Caviar Blue 320GB SATA 7200 rpm (only real difference from main super pc page)
DVD LG GH24 Super Multi DVD writer 24x
Trying to install: Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (Service Pack 2)

My first step is trying to get windows on. Should I be doing something else first? Like motherboard drivers?

Any ideas?

The Wise Monkey
06-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Try downloading the Western Digital data diagnostics CD and booting from that before installing Windows to check that your hard drive is OK:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=30&lang=en

noobonian
06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I tried checking the drive on another computer and it says it downloads the software but windows 7 doesn't show another drive (like XP would).

Do I need to format the disk? should I just be able to connect it to a computer and it show up? I am close to just using my external hard drive as a boot disk.

The Wise Monkey
06-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Firstly, I would advise against using an external HD as a boot drive because it would be reaaaaaaally slow. Everything would have to go via USB, which is several times slower than the SATA interface.

Secondly, you will need to format the hard drive using the Disk Management feature. If you type Disk Management into the Windows 7 search bar, there should be an option called "Create and format hard disk partitions". Select this, and use it to format the other drive.

The WD tools I linked you to should be burnt onto a CD, and you then boot from the CD on a system that has the hard drive installed, and use the CD to check the status of the drive.

noobonian
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Just an FYI for everyone. After weeks of crazy frustration :mad:, it turned out that the Windows XP disk was bad. After using an alternate Windows XP disk, installation went perfectly and the quad core is humming along perfectly. The lights in the neighborhood dim for a few seconds when I turn it on.

The Wise Monkey
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Ah, bad luck. Glad you found out what the problem was eventually though.