PDA

View Full Version : Install window XP without partition and format my brand new hard drive first?

hdnn2000
07-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I know that we suppose to partition and format our brand new hard drive before we can install window XP; however, one of my friend told me that I can skip this step ( could take up to 2 hours ) since installing window XP will also format my brand new hard drive at the same time. I'm really confuse right now could someone please clarify this for me? By the way should I build my new computer without a floppy drive since most drivers today can be boot from a CD rom ? ( one of my friend also said that we can even create a bootable USB flash drive???) Thanks in advance.

Jamie Nixx
07-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi there. Windows xp will give you the option to format and partition the Harddrive when you install it.

And no your computer does not need a floppy drive. But considering how cheap they are you might as well just stick one in your new rig anyway. I personally don't have one and a computer does not need one to boot.

Jamie

Rob
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
This page may help:
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_install_windows_operating_system.shtml

The Wise Monkey
07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
The only reason you would need a floppy drive now is for RAID drivers, to be honest.

Your friend is right - you can boot from a USB flash drive. I installed Windows onto my external HD, then took it with me into university. Plug it into the USB port, fiddle with the BIOS a bit, and you've got your own personal OS, without any of the restrictions.

Cirndle
07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
So u can use os from xternal hd when u say fiddle steps please be a good sticky be more specific please. without any restrictions?

The Wise Monkey
07-17-2007, 02:08 AM
In most BIOSs, you can change the boot order to include Removable devices. Enter the BIOS, put the USB HD at the top and it should boot from there.

As for restrictions, our OS always has some restrictions, like the inability to access the control panel. With your own OS, you can access all the hardware or network connections.

Not that I ever do anything like that... XD