PDA

View Full Version : high latency in benchmarks

Greyfang
07-04-2007, 08:54 AM
hello all. i was very happy with my new build (thanks, Rob) until i ran the Everest benchmarks for RAM speed. granted, my RAM isn't uber, but i don't see any reason why it's testing as low as it is, which, according to Everest, is bottom of the barrel (340.8 ns). i've also posted this question on the Lavalys forum, and the Lavalys dev is telling me that my chipset is weak (not sure i buy that, every major mobo manufacturer uses the same chipset on at least one of their boards), so i wanted to see what you guys think.

mobo: Asus P4V8X-MX
chipset: VIA P4M800 Pro
CPU: P4 Prescott (3.4 GHz)
DIMM 1: Wintec 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
DIMM 2: Kingston 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM

i have a feeling my DIMM 2 module might be malfunctioning, because as i'm looking at this information from Everest a second time, it's no longer registering by name but showing up as [TRIAL VERSION] under Module Name. anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greyfang
07-12-2007, 02:27 PM
well, i've ran 2 RAM tests since, and no errors were detected... went back through the BIOS, and can't find any incorrect settings, so i'm officially stumped.

Cirndle
07-16-2007, 01:02 PM
It is general practice not to put two different sized ram modules together.

If you have 4 you pair them in 1,2 and 3,4.

You only have two dimms slots?

If so that is still a pair the way I think, try removing the module 2 and see what happens, and if it is better, then put another 1gb in there. I know that the ram type Pc-blah and DDR2 or DDR is different on them it will cause lower ram to be used, but you seem to have the same type.

Greyfang
07-18-2007, 05:37 AM
yes, only 2 DIMM slots on this motherboard. i did put 2 DDR2s with the same speed in, but i'll pick up a 1 GB replacement this weekend. hopefully that will alleviate the latency. thanks.