PDA

View Full Version : General Questions of Processors

ep752128
07-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I've been reading the processors section of "MY SUPER PC How To Build A PC" and I'm unclear of a few things.

Are the terms "dual processor systems" and "dual core processors" the same thing or are they different? Please elaborate.

The author states "I have the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2 dual-core processor in My Super PC". Yet he goes on to say "Dual core processors are not worth the money since they add a huge premium to the cost of the processor, like around 50 percent, but provide very little improvement in performance". I am conflicted with his actions and statements. Are dual processors worth the money or not?:confused:

Since the AM2 processor is a 940 pin configuration does it require registered RAM like other 940 pin processors? What exactly is registered RAM?

What is the idea behind OEM processors? Are these processors used? Are they not sold by the CPU manufacturer?

If I build a 64 bit computer system with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2 dual-core processor but use a 32 bit operating system will I be utilizing the full potential of the processor? If not, are all the specs for the processor cut in half? Instead of 3 Ghz I'll get 1.5 Ghz?:confused:

Knowledegable Answers are Appreciated!

Rob
07-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Good questions! You've pointed out at least a couple of places where I needed to make changes.

"Dual processor" is different than "dual core". I hope I'm not using the terms out of place somewhere, but it's possible. One processor can have two cores - dual core. A computer can have two processors - dual processors. My Super PC has one processor which is dual core.

The "50 percent" text is out of date so I'm glad you've mentioned it. I've updated the text to read "Dual core processors provide little improvement over single core processors of similar clock speed, but that should change as applications adapt and their cost is not so different."

No, the AM2 processor does not use registered RAM. See this page for more about registered RAM.
http://www.mysuperpc.com/pmu/computer_memory_upgrade_faq.shtml

This page should help in understanding OEM.
http://www.mysuperpc.com/oem_definition.shtml

Regarding performance of the 64-bit computer, I addressed this with text on the processor page, but I think I could have worded it better. I've changed it to read like this: "And performance of 32-bit software is not penalized for running under an x64 operating system. For now, the best approach in terms of avoiding problems is to stick with all 32-bit software, including the operating system and drivers. It will all run fine on 64-bit hardware and will receive the benefit of running on the faster hardware."

Jamie Nixx
07-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Dual processor is old technology and are mainly used in small server systems and consist of two physical CPU's whereas dual core is the the effect of mounting two CPU's on one die.

And your not using the terms out of place Rob (most excellent website btw:D )

Dual core CPU's are worth the money and are good (especially now as prices have dramatically decreased), especially in games and multi-tasking.

And finally. The CPU core speed will not cut in half because of the operating system. Rob is absolutely right, stick with 32-bit operating systems as the drivers for 64-bit ones are either few and far between or inadequate.

Hope this helps (even though i am just echoing Robs comments)

The Wise Monkey
07-03-2007, 02:57 AM
I can assure you that Dual Processors are far from dated - imagine having dual quad core processors!

Jamie Nixx
07-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I can assure you that Dual Processors are far from dated - imagine having dual quad core processors!

:rolleyes: Not dated, just old technology, it doesn't mean it isn't any less good.

And as for Dual quad cores :eek: :D

Cheers.

The Wise Monkey
07-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Sorry, just got the impression that you meant it was not as useful. :)

Anyways, dual processors are much more prevalent in server technologies, as server generally need the extra processing power more than desktop computers. Thats why most multi-processor motherboards are designed to fit the Xeon (intel) or Opteron (amd) processor types, neither of which are designed for desktop use.

Come to think of it, most of the servers that I use are dual Xeons. We also recently bought a computer with the capability for dual quad core Xeons, but we've only got one in there at the moment. :D

Jamie Nixx
07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
No way. They are really good i.e servers, schools, businesses ect.

and a quad core xeon, rescpec!!!!!:eek: :D