PDA

View Full Version : Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo, SLI compatible, but not pci x16

rustygrant
07-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I was hoping to buy an okay graphics card (evga Geforce 7600 gt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130017). Then, if need be (i.e., I want to upgrade/play more demanding games) I could buy another evga 7600 and run both in sli. I didn't realize it at the time, but apparently this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013)doesn't run sli x16, at least that's what some reviewers on newegg are saying. I assumed, out of ignorance, that because it provided 2 pci x16 slots, it would run in sli @ x16.
Firstly, is this true?
Secondly, if it is true, can I still use both graphics cards, even though they're x16?

Jamie Nixx
07-02-2007, 04:01 AM
Right firstly mate. For the price of two 76OOGT's (i am assuming it is). You could buy one 7900GT which is more powerful than two ran in SLI. SLI is very very overated, many people are under the impression that if you have two cards it equals twice the power, you would be wrong. Save up a little bit longer and just get one card. Never go for SLI, its expensive and uses a lot of power and lastly its rubbish.

Secondly, some SLI motherboards claim to have SLI, but infact when you use the two PCI-E X16 slots they revert to only X8 to each slot, so basically you get rubbish performance. This is another reason just to get one graphics card.

If you are on a budget i would get a Gainward Bliss 7900GS. It is faster than most 7900GT's and it is a lot cheaper.

rustygrant
07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks Jamie, I wish that I would've known about the gainward bliss 7900gs. I can't find it anywhere on u.s. sites...only on a .uk site (don't want to pay for shipping). I did find the reasonable Foxconn 7900gs (only about 50 bucks more). I've heard that a more powerful graphics card always trumphs 2 less powerful in sli. Only problem is I didn't have the $. I needed a new computer and only have $900 (450 pounds). What I should've done was purchase a less powerful processor and heatsink/fan and gone with a better graphics card (still would've costed more, prolly)...I was banking on sli.
Oh well, you live, you learn. Thanks for the comments.
Athlon 64 x2, 6000
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo
Evga 6800 gt sli 256
Hitachi Deskstar 320 gb, 16 cache
(2 x 1 gb) G skill DDR2 PC6400 RAM
Sony x18 DVD R/RW
Raidmax Smilidon (500w psu, 120mm fan, 2 x 80mm fans) case

Jamie Nixx
07-02-2007, 06:39 PM
No worries mate, and that is a beasty system you have there. Having looked at your motherboard specs, you have a really good motherboard (it is an asus after all) and is especially good for gaming just so you know.

Save up a little bit longer if you can and go for the 7900GS (please not a foxconn one) or save up just a bit more and get an 8800GTS. In the UK i think they are about £80 more than the GS.

Why don't you put your current graphics card on ebay to fund your new one. Thats what i did to fund my latest card.

Keep us updated

Jamie