PDA

View Full Version : Proposed system - first build - suggestions please

tmelhuish
05-01-2010, 02:53 AM
So, its my first true build having considered it for a long time. Sorry if I've left anything glaringly obvious out. I'm building this system as a mid-end desktop, not for much gaming, but often for some data intensive programs such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver and some other high end media processing.

I'm trying to build a quiet system. A lot of the data on my system is shared over our local network and as such it is left on for the gross majority of the time. The computer will be running two LCD monitors, both 1920x1080.

Case: NZXT Whisper

Motherboard: Gigabyte 770TA-UD3

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955

RAM: Corsair DDR3-1333 8GB (4x2GB)

Graphics: Amaze Geforce GTS 250 1GB

HDD: Western Digital 2TB SATA2 WD20EARS 64MB Cache

PSU: Silverstone Strider ST50F 500W PSU

Please leave all feedback, its much appreciated. One concern is whether 500W will be enough on the PSU - I know it may be cutting it a little fine - should I go higher?. Thanks for all your help guys.

RickyTick
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the MySuperPC forums.

That's a very nice setup. I think 8gb of ram is far more than you will need.

zburns
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forums. I read some reviews on your list this morning and have a few quick comments, but I would like to recheck the reviews and "firm up" the comments.

Unless I am mistaken, your case is a "full tower" case which means it is big. Did you rule out a "mid-tower" case for any particular reason?

I think you will be ok with the 500 watt PSU based on what I read, but I would like to double check. It has separate +12 volt rails and that can be a problem.

I also suggest you read the reviews on the mobo at Newegg; I read at least two reviews talking about the Gbyte mobo being slightly smaller than a standard ATX mobo, and, that size change resulted in screw holes (or absence of them) not lining up with the third set of "case mounting holes"; this caused the board to "dip or push in" when pressing the RAM into its slots; if this is really true, that is a real problem. A major deflection when pushing on the mobo could become a cause of board failure via broken connections or torn circuit board trace.

Ricky Tick's comment on the amount of RAM is "right on". That is a lot of RAM!

zburns
05-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Here is a Guru of 3D review on your choice of case. They compliment the case on design quite well, particularly the "sound chamber type of foam design" they use on the side panels. However, if you read the whole review and their conclusions, they are luke warm on the "lack of silent running" and also the lack of ventilation - air flow - inside the motherboard area. They like the case but they do not give it high ratings for sound silence and air flow thru the mobo area. I suggest you read the review, let us know what you think.

Here is the link to the review by Guru: http://www.guru3d.com/article/nzxt-whisper-chassis-review-test/1

I read a review on the AMD processor by Guru of 3D also; they like it a lot. They had a power consumption test, printed the results: CPU full stressed draws 185 watts. Your video card manufacturers spec clearly states maximum wattage of 150 watts, single card. This is a total wattage of 335 watts without adding in anything else. Lets assume 50 more watts of power from mobo, HD, DVD/CD RW and you are close to 400 watts; add in another 100 watts as headroom, and you are at 500 watts.

But the +12 volt only supplies 34 amps and the CPU and Video card together will draw 28 amps max. (335 watts divided by 12 volts = 27.9 amps). That leaves only 6 amps for all other +12 volt items and there are some; so I think the 500 watt is too small and you should consider 600 watts or 650 watts.

You did not mention a DVD/CD RW drive. Also, you have a huge hard drive specified which is fine. What do you plan to do for backup? A 2 TB HD means you will be storing a lot of data and using the computer for quite serious purposes.

I have nothing further on the Gbyte mobo; just did not have time to look at it some more.

tmelhuish
05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all your help so far.

Did you rule out a "mid-tower" case for any particular reason?

No - I just liked the case. Thankyou for the link to the review. Having read it and a few others I agree with you that it may not be the best choice. I now think I'll go with the Antec P183 - a very popular choice with quiet computing:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11049

I think the 500 watt is too small and you should consider 600 watts or 650 watts

Now that I'm going with the Antec case, I'll probably get an Antec powersupply, Antec CP-850 which, although far too large is the quietest and cheapest antec option and will not have any problem with the 12V rail:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10906

I will also start off with 4GB of ram and then see if NI eed to add more later.

Have read reviews for the motherboard there don't seem to many negative out there (although there are very few reviews full stop). I think I will go with it and see how it goes!