PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades... Where to start??

larken75
04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
So, I built my first PC about 2 years ago and it's been sweet, well that is until some of the newer games started coming out. My machine runs COD MW2 without any issues, but BBC2 is a bit glitchy especially in multiplayer. My current set-up is listed below and I'd like to get some upgrade recommendations. Funds aren't unlimited, but would like to be able to get stuff that will get me through another 2 years before needing another upgrade. If possible, I'd like to stick with the motherboard, but if that needs to be replaced too....

Intel Core2 6700
2g Corsair (2X1024) XMS2
WD VelociRaptor 300g HD
ASUS P5B Deluxe
Apevia 680W PS
EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked
Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
BOSE headphones
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
Zalman 9500 CPU Cooler/Fan
Tarantula Keyboard

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

RickyTick
04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I think BF2 is having some buggy issues all it's own. It may not be your system.

Upgrading the video card to something like a Radeon HD 5770 or 5850 would be great. Stepping up from 2gb of ram to 4gb would make a big difference too. You could upgrade the cpu, but I would start with the video card and ram and see how it performs first.

larken75
04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Okay, so here's a couple of dumb questions. Will I have to get all new RAM, or can I add to what I already have? I've always been unclear as to whether or not the memory sticks had to be exactly the same...

RickyTick
04-03-2010, 05:30 PM
You could just add 2 more sticks of that xms2 ram and fill all 4 dimm slots. Should work fine.