PDA

View Full Version : 5 beauties, all complete!!

tjgraf
03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Greetings all,

I told Wise Monkey and Ricky Tick that I was going to do this way back before Thanksgiving. Well, I built my first one just after Thanksgiving for my son's wife:

Completed late 11/2009
Motherboard brand: Gigabyte GA P55 UD3R
Processor: i5-750
Video card: EVGA GTX 260
System memory: 4 gig GSkill
Hard drive: WD Black 640GB SATA
CD drive: Sony Optiarc
Ikonik Zaria brushed aluminum case.
Power Supply: Corsair TX750

Very pleased with how this turned out. Have bought everything from Newegg and couldn't be more pleased with fantastic service from them. Ikonik case looks super. You will never go back to Dell after building one of these beauties.

But I started reading about fan noise and cooling airflow efficiency. So the next 4 cases I used, I switched to Antec Solo cases. The next 4 got 1000W Rosewill Power supplies purchased on black friday for $100 each. . I put two CD drives in my wifes computer (12/2009) for a backup. She had a glitchy one in her old Dell, so this put that issue to bed. My techie son got a dual 640 GB raid 1 mirror on his which I built in January of this year. My brother got a basic version of the above setup, which he is happy with, also built in January. For my box that I just finished yesterday 3/28/2010, I gave myself a 1 TB WD Black raid 1 mirror. I used a Zalman CNPS 10X extreme on mine. Overkill? Sure. But I had to try an alternate CPU cooler. This one was huge, and barely fit my case, but it did fit and it is super quiet.

Of all that equipment, I had only one failure. For my box, one of the 1 TB drives was DOA, and Newegg replaced it quickly without incident.

When setting up your machine BIOS, be sure to select AHCI as the drive type if you are loading win 7 64 bit. It just works.

I'm buying parts for a 6th machine now, for another son up in PA. He will get the GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 I've seen written up recently with the faster SATA and USB. I've read that this one will work well with an SSD. The Gigabyte boards all have the dual BIOS that allows you to flash upgrade your BIoS safely. The way Gigabyte has you do it, via a download from their website using a flash drive is really pretty easy, and worked well on all 5 machines. Very impressed, that a newbie like me could figure this out.

Be sure to read the commentary in Newegg closely to really find out what equipment is worth buying. What a terrific service these people have. No wonder they get so much business. They just know how to take care of people.

Thanks again to all who commented and helped.

The Wise Monkey
03-30-2010, 03:02 AM
Nice writeup - glad everything went so well!

RickyTick
03-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Great post. Thanks for the nice words. Building your own is an awesome experience.

zburns
03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Your post is excellent. You convey some very useful information particularly on the mobo BIOS.

Rob
03-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Congratulations!

tjgraf
04-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the kind replies.

One thing I forgot to address. Do your homework on the case and video board size. The GTX260 from EVGA is a HUGE video board. It is 11" long, if I recall correctly. I had to do surgery on all the Antec Solo cases to get these video boards to fit. The day before Christmas, when my family was visiting and we were having our computer building party, we set up an assembly line in my basement den, and we took out the HDD cages on each case, and did surgery on each cage with a Dremel. That took a 4 HDD cage and turned it into a 2 HDD cage. As good as Antec cases are, they have not figured out that modern video boards are long! Consider that when you buy a case! The Ikonik Zaria case has a larger interior because the HDD cage is set up sideways. It unbolts and can be installed with HDD cables in left or right side. Very, very flexible. Check out the Ikonik web site. It explains how the HDD cage works. I did a ton of research on this whole dimension thing before I started, so I knew what I was getting into at the outset. Problem with Ikonik is rotten air flow. They just have too many vents, and it has two fans because of it. I'm an efficiency freak, so I want as few fans as possible for energy efficiency and low noise.

Some time I'm going to figure out how to get that big Zalman cooler fan to cool the entire case, too. Rob, I know you said you did'nt like that design philosophy, but plastic shrouds, if designed properly, can save one fan, right?

I'm also getting interested in building a super bang for the buck PC now. I just can't bring myself to go with any other mobo than Gigabyte, after experiencing their build quality. But I just bought a cheaper video board, (GT 240 Gigabyte, as I recall), 650 W Antec PS, 640 GB WD black HDD left over from black Friday sale. I'm slowly buying parts for that, and we'll see what remaining parts get put into it. It will be our kitchen internet box. Stay tuned. I'm surfing the sales, so it will take some months to get everything together. This is a labor of love, and I want to maximize the fun of picking out each part.;)