PDA

View Full Version : wireless keyboard/mouse

obrien324
03-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Anyone have an wireless keyboard/mouse combos that they are fans of? I am trying to order something off newegg but its hard without cause being able to put your fingers on it. I am going to be doing work and gaming with this combo. Thanks!

zburns
03-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Keyboards are split between what I call "rectangular" or "ergonomic". Your forearms come in at an angle from your sides. An ergonomic keyboard essentially allows your wrist and hands to be "naturally in line" with your forearms; something that is very comfortable and probably best for your wrists over a long period of time.

I would never use anything but an ergonomic keyboard on a long continous basis!!

A rectangular keyboard is laid out in a x and y rectilinear pattern. This forces you to "cock" or angle your wrists and hands with respect to your forearms. Not comfortable as far as I am concerned. The other issue is long term use with your wrists and hands in this position and whether it is a plus or minus or just has no negative effect at all.

My keyboard is the Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard, Model 4000; I spell it out because there are so many keyboards that look similiar.

I have a Microsoft Model 7000 mouse; also very comfortable for my right hand. Absolutely no complaints about either item.

Both items purchased in May 2008.

EDIT!! I failed to mention above another important and BIG feature of the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard. The keyboard is raised in the "center split" between the left and right hand keys. This allows your hands to rest "normally" on the alphabetic keys where you do most of your work. It is a natural position and does not require "twisting of the wrist" in order for your fingers to conform to the keyboard; this in contrast to a "flat" keyboard.

obrien324
03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Hm, I have never owned one of the ergonomical keyboards however I have used other computer with them. In all honesty, I find them awkward. Is there an adjustment period with them? I know it would be better for my wrists in the long run to have one...

zburns
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Funny that you describe it that way; that is exactly how I would describe the rectangular keyboard. I guess the answer for either keyboard is that you "train" your wrists, fingers, forearm, etc. a certain way.

Being blunt, the rectangular keyboard makes no sense to me from a design and ergonomic viewpoint; makes great sense if you want the cheapest manufacturing cost.

On the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic (I have no experience nor I have I looked at a Logitech Ergonomic keyboard), your forearms, wrist and fingers "lay" in a natural position, for the most part of your routine typing.

Whether it is a "small" or "big" difference between the two types of keybords(rectangular vs ergonomic), I cannot say; I only use rectangular on "other computers" and mostly "hunt and peck" because of the different feel.

From Wikipedia: The Microsoft Natural Keyboard is a computer keyboard that was introduced by Microsoft in 1994. The keyboard was a split keyboard with each half of the keyboard separated and tilted upwards and down from the center of the keyboard. This key arrangement was ergonomically designed to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive strain injuries associated with typing for long periods of time. The keyboard also helps to ensure correct posture while sitting at the computer.

I concur with the Wikipedia comments. If you have a large electronics store, you might want to call them, see if they an ergonomic keyboard, maybe a microsoft. Go stand in front of one of them, close up; then do the same thing with a rectangular. Look at your forearm, wrist and finger position in all cases. Do what seems logical to you.

If you work at a keyboard for long hours, what else do you do, week in, week out that angles your hands and wrist in such a fashion as does the rectangular keyboard.

I want to repeat one last point for emphasis, regards the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, and that is the "rise" in the center of the keyboard between the alphabetic typing keys; this is a very important feature of the design in causing your arms, wrist and fingers to line up "essentially" straight most of the time.

We all agree that I am very prejuiced on this subject!! Good luck!! Any other questions, please ask.

obrien324
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I have used keyboards like you are talking about with the large break in between them but what about something a little less extreme like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=23-109-048-S01&SCList=23-109-048-S01%2c23-109-048-S02%2c23-109-048-S03%2c23-109-048-S04%2c23-109-048-S05%2c23-109-048-S06%2c23-109-048-S07%2c23-109-048-S08%2c23-109-048-S09&S7ImageFlag=2&Item=N82E16823109048&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=Microsoft%204GC-00002%20Silver%2fBlack%20Wireless%20Ergonomic%20La ser%20Desktop%204000

its very similar to what you were saying before and for a relatively good price. I think my next bet is to just wait and go to Best Buy and actually try them out. My dad had carpel tunnel and I really do not want it either...

zburns
03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Sorry to be so late responding. On the keyboard you suggested, go to Newegg on that product and read all the reviews. I did but I want to do it again.

I also suggest you look at the one I recommended, again at Newegg, and read all the reviews, about 25 to 30 over three pages, will not take long!! On the picture of this model (my recommendation), you will see a relatively thick spacer under the wrist pad; it is optional whether you use it, and I do not. Tried it very briefly when I got it, took it off; used it without it since then. I still have the instructions so I could look at them and be more definitive.

The newegg price on the 7000 is $ 102.00 with the mouse.

I will make some more comments first thing tomorrow morning.

The Wise Monkey
03-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Just to add my $.02 to the discussion - I've used a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 (the wired version) for years. As I work in IT and spend almost all day at my desk typing, it really does make a difference to prevent wrist strain and to force you to start touch typing.

It definitely takes a while to get used to, but if you type a lot then it is a worthy purchase. That said, just use whatever feels good for you, as that will be the most beneficial thing in the long run.

zburns
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Good morning. I implied in my first post that I first used an ergonomic keyboard first in 2008 with my new build, when actually I used a very similar (same, essentially identical) version for some years before that. My enthusiasm for it goes back much longer than 2008.

Because this design has remained in the Microsoft line for many years now means it works and has real value for the user, regardless of the price. I also think it is Microsoft's top of the line keyboard.

The reason for the split in the middle and the tilt downward to the left and right is probably the following: Sit or stand with forearms level, elbows at your side. The natural position for your forearms and wrist is a slight rotation upward and outward (cw for right side, ccw for left).

This means the natural position for the hands has the same rotation or tilt. Therefore the reason for the split between the keys, the angle of the two sets of keys and the tilt either side of the split is to make the keyboard conform, as best possible, to the natural position of the hands and wrist in the typing position.

I can only speak to this particular Microsoft Keyboard and I do give it high praise for doing what I think they are trying to do. To enable the user, as best possible, to keep forearm, wrist and hand in the most natural position, thereby minimizing or avoiding wrist angles that lead to long term problems.

There is always a best way to design a product. I think Microsoft hit the ball out of the park on this product years ago.

In my opinion this is the best type design for an ergonomic keyboard. So I cannot argue, in good conscience, for a lesser design. I agree with Microsoft's design concepts for this particular keyboard that minimize bending of the wrist. In this case, price is not the issue and should not enter the conversation.

RickyTick
03-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Just ran across this. I don't know anything about it, but it looks like a good deal. Logitech makes a lot of great stuff.
*edit* removed link

The Wise Monkey
03-30-2010, 03:01 AM
External hard drive? :s

I guess that it pointed to a deal that has now changed. :)

RickyTick
03-30-2010, 06:24 AM
External hard drive? :s

I guess that it pointed to a deal that has now changed. :)

HA. They sold out of the keyboards and changed the deal to that drive. I deleted the link to avoid confusion.