PDA

View Full Version : First power on and cpu fan not running

87ss505
03-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I am attempting the first power on for the first boot but my cpu fan will not power on. I first attempted using the stock fan/heatsink that came with my intel duo but upon powering on the system the fan would start for a split second and then stop. The motherboard, GA-EP45-UD3P, powered up just fine and all the other fans were working, ie: power supply, case and video card. I assumed it was the fan and had thought about buying a better one anyway so I purchased the Zalman, CNPS9500 AT. I reinstalled everything and am having the same problem. I tried hooking up both fans to the cpu_fan port and the sys_fan2 but same problem. I am assuming it's the motherboard but am fairly new to computer builds and may just be missing something. I would really appreciate your support. Thanks, Josh.

zburns
03-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Your mobo has two connectors for PSU cables and plugs that supply mobo and CPU power. The large 24 pin connector and 8 pin connector. Your manual mobo layout clearly shows you the 8 pin connector. There should be a PSU cable with a plug or plugs that will fit that 8 pin connector. Probably 4 wires. What comes from your PSU may depend on who manufactured the PSU.

If that connector is empty, I think that would cause your problem.

Hope this will fix it. Welcome to the forums!

87ss505
03-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks a lot for your help. i took your advice and the problem was exactly what you said and now my 1st computer build is a success! :):D