PDA

View Full Version : The drive is not ready??

john123
03-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Hi guys, i have an internal hard drive but when i connect it to my computer...in the Disk manager it does recognize the drive but when i try to intialize it...it won't let me continue and this message appear " The device is not ready " Whats the problem guys? by the way, some article recommend like this : "Check all cable connections. Make sure pin 1 of the drive is connected to pin 1 of the hard-disc controller or host adapter." What does it mean pin 1 of the drive is connected to pin 1 of the hard disc controller ?

The Wise Monkey
03-17-2010, 03:41 AM
That is talking about IDE drives - you need to make sure that all the pins align correctly and that they are the right way around. Most IDE cables should have a notch in one side so that they only go in one way, but some don't, and so you can put the cables in the wrong way around.

You may have to format it before you can use it.

john123
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
oh i see but my is sata so dats not the problem. By the way...my computer only recogize the drive in Disk manager not in My Computer...so i can't format or do anything with it. When i rite click on the drive just to initialize...it wont let me do it " The device is not ready " ? I don't know wat to do now...

The Wise Monkey
03-18-2010, 03:32 AM
What make of hard drive is it? Most manufacturers offer a set of testing tools to make sure that the hard drive is working correctly e.g. Western Digital, Seagate etc.

Try downloading the corresponding one for your hard drive and see if it is working correctly.

Also, does it show up in the BIOS correctly?