PDA

View Full Version : New build after OS load and 2 days of use restarts itself

thlibo
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Hello All.

I just built my first Computer (details below). Plugged everything together carefully with a minimal build (PS, MOBO, 2 sticks RAM, 1 HD, 1 DVD),

Booted perfectly the first time. Restarted with the 64 bit Win 7 disk and installed windows. No problems.

Added 2 more sticks RAM (8GB total) and 2 more SATA HDDs.

Booted fine, went into Win HW manager and setup and formatted the 2 new drives. Loaded some DVD ripping SW and ripped a few DVDs.

Opened Windows Media Center and the computer restarted itself. Booted into Windows fine, opened Media Center and it worked, ripped a few more DVDs, opened WMC and it restarted itself.

Now all the computer does is restart itself. I turn it on, it runs through BIOS boot fine, i can go into BIOS and sit there all day, I can go into Win setup from the DVD and its fine, but when it tries to load windows the computer restarts.

I disassembled everything, went back to basic build, and it does the same thing. I'm totally stumped. Any ideas? I got the whole setup in pieces from Micro Center, and I could probably go exchange some parts, but I don't even know what parts to try exchanging.

Specs:
Chasis: Cooler Master Elite
MOBO:Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
Chip: Intel i5 650
RAM: 4 sticks 2GB ea. OCZ High Perf DDR3 OCZ3P1600LV4GK
PS: OCZ Stealth XStream 700W
HD1: Hitachi SATA Deskstar 500GB
HD2&3: Hitachi SATA Deskstart 2T x 2

RickyTick
03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Check the ram voltage in the BIOS. That motherboard defaults to 1.5V, and that ram requires 1.65V. Double check that in your manuals to make sure I'm correct. I don't know if that is the problem, but it's the first thing I noticed.

thlibo
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
That was the trick. I confirmed that the RAM was listed as running at a max of 1.65. I bumped it to 1.64 on the motherboard and no more problems. I'm up and running on my first build out. Thanks!

RickyTick
03-30-2010, 07:26 AM
That's great. Glad to help.