PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Gigabyte on board LAN

cwphoto
03-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi folks:

I just finished putting together a new system using the recommendations from http://www.mysuperpc.com/. I have the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P with on board LAN. I was able to connect directly to the Internet via this port--no problem.

There is a second LAN port, and it doesn't seem to have any connectivity, although it lights up and so forth. The LAN is enabled in the bios.

I'm trying to get my HP Z3100 wide format printer working over the network. I entered the IP address directly, but the system cannot find my printer. I have verified that this port works, i.e. I can connect to the Internet. I have also verified that the printer is fine by hooking it up to another computer with the same cable. I don't quite understand why the system will not find my printer.

None of this is wireless. Cables are good. So how I go about troubleshooting this? I have tried setting up a new printer via a network, and entered the IP address for the printer directly, but the system simply does not recognize the printer is there. The software that comes with the HP printer, does not work either.

So, this one has me stumped. Suggestions?

Thx,

Troy

zburns
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
To me your description of the problem leaves out some information which may be necessary for diagnosis. (As I wrote this, I came to the conclusion that para 5 below may be your solution to your printer problem) In general the post below is a logical step by step check to isolate source of problem.

1. For the first LAN port with ethernet cable, RJ-45, plugged in, what does the other end of the ethernet cable, RJ-45 plug, go into?
2. Do you have a router, wired or wireless? (I know you said all cables, but no mention of a router)
3. Computer will access internet using 1st LAN port according to you. Under current working conditions, did you unplug ethernet cable from 1st LAN port, plug it into 2nd LAN port? If you did exactly this, and you cannot access internet, then you have a mobo problem or a BIOS problem with the 2nd LAN port. Or you have a problem with the 2n LAN port mobo RJ-45 connector -- does the 2nd LAN port feel the same (as 1st LAN port) as you insert the ethernet cable plug?

If you used a different ethernet cable in the 2nd LAN port and it did not work, there is a BIOS ethernet diagnostic tool that will tell you where on the ethernet cable the problem is. Look in your GigaB manual, BIOS and look for LAN --it is there, probably closer to the end of the BIOS setup instructions.

4. (This is a much later edit, you have a complex printer and this # 4 statement generally would apply to a home desktop computer/printer setup--see below and next post for comments that address your printer)Regards the printer, first make sure your document queue is zero! Next, your printer cable has a USB plug for computer connection, correct? If so, with computer on and without the printer working ok, unplug the USB printer plug from the computer, turn the printer off (unplug it) for several minutes, then turn printer back on, plug in USB plug. See if that helps. Without my detailing it, reverse this process, unplug the USB plug, turn off printer, also turn off computer for a few minutes. Then, turn computer on, printer on, plug in USB etc.

5. As I understand IP addresses, etc. , your computer has one IP address and that is it. If you have a router, you can have mulitple IP addresses which the router assigns.

If you have no router, and you are trying to get two IP address off one internet connection, I do not think you can do this without a router.

Also, regards all of the above including your post of the problem, if you had your printer somehow hooked up to your internet connection while the computer was also hooked up, you should undo this and only have the computer hooked up. You can run the printer thru the computer USB connection.

If your printer hooks up a different way (has a different plug other than USB), please advise. (Later EDIT 3pm, the last two previous statements, "Also, regards . . . ." and "If your printer . . ." do not apply to your printer. See next post below. )

zburns
03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
This is a second post on purpose. I just looked at your printer on line. It is beautiful. Without looking, I do not think it operates with a USB plug. Without looking, I am guessing it has its own dedicated computer. If it does, this means your problem may be simple, ie trying to get two IP address off one internet connection without a router (previously said). (Read all of this, but pay attention to the last edit about download speeds)

But you have your HP instruction manual, it should tell you how to connect. Anyhow, I will look at your printer some!! And then post another comment.

Five minutes later. Use this link to get to a good description of your printer: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/HP-Z3100-review.shtml

Go about 2/3 way down on your right hand scroll bar and you will see heading "Built in Web Server". I interpret the way this section and some of the others are written, is that you hook up to your computer with a USB 2 connection (USB plug), but the purpose of this connection to one computer or multiple computers is to download "accounting information" from the printer. Intuitively, I think the printer definitely has its own dedicated computer. When it says "Built in Web Server", this does not mean the printer takes the place of a router, ie. all other computers would plug into the printer if this was so.
Surely, the HP install manual will address all this! (This comment about 30 minutes plus into my research and after I have finished) Your printer has an ethernet RJ-45 connection for connection to the internet or a LAN, but the LAN connection must be a router if your computer and the printer go to one internet connection.

15 minutes later:

This is the only HP link I could find that in the HP Specifications that mentioned definite "windows compatibiltiy". Here is the link: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-18972-3328061-12600-3328079-3204970.html

In these same specs, the following is clear: Connectivity, standard
Z3100 44-in: 1 10/100Base-T Ethernet RJ-45 port, 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified port, 1 EIO Jetdirect accessory slot
Z3100ps 24-in: 1 1000Base-T Ethernet RJ-45 port, 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified port, 1 EIO Jetdirect accessory slot

My comments, there is a RJ-45 ethernet port to connect the printer to a LAN network, meaning a router (EDIT, your printer has its own computer). Also, a hi speed USB 2.0 port which allows the printer to communicate with your computer. So you need a router because you must have two IP address, one for the printer's computer and one for your computer. I could not find an HP installation manual for a Windows system, only Mac. But this spec Link above, clearly says Windows compatable; this means your install manual tells you all of what you need to know. Key Statement: One computer per internet connection without a router. Multiple computers with a router.

This should be my last EDIT: It occured to me that your internet connection has to be looked at. If you have the 44 inch printer, a 10/100 mbs ethernet connection will suffice. If you have a 24" printer, you need a 1000 mbs high speed connection. Assume you have a 24" printer: if you have the slower high speed connection of 10/100 mbs, then this could cause problems and you may need the fastest connection 1000 mbs. Mbs means megabytes per second which is how fast the download is to the printer. 1000 mbs means also, 1 gigabyte per second. (3pm EDIT) The 24" printer needs the 1 Gig connection, the 44" can use the slower 10/100 connection.

(This is a duplicate of the spec two paras above) Here is the HP Connectivity specification: Z3100 44-in: 1 10/100Base-T Ethernet RJ-45 port, 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified port, 1 EIO Jetdirect accessory slot
Z3100ps 24-in: 1 1000Base-T Ethernet RJ-45 port, 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified port, 1 EIO Jetdirect accessory slot

cwphoto
03-14-2010, 07:30 PM
wow, that was a very detailed reply, to which I will have to spend some time to digest.

On my old computer I had a wireless card to access the internet, (Wireless router on third computer in the house) and the dedicated onboard LAN was hooked up to the HP Z3100. Yes, the printer has its own hard drive, and is in a sense a mini computer. I will try the USB to sync printer to computer, and retry the R45 plug after that.

I suspected that two connections could not exist off one motherboard without a router. (I don't have one on the new box) I need to check the specs, but I believe one port is faster than the other. Sounds like I need the faster port for the printer.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for the reply. I will print out your response and digest it for a while. Lots of info there.

Thanks,

Troy

The Wise Monkey
03-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Just to mention something else here for you to try - there are two types of ethernet cable. One is called a Patch cable and is used for connecting printers, PCs etc to a router. The other is called a crossover cable and is used for connecting one PC directly to another.

It could be the case that you need a crossover cable to connect the PC directly to the printer.

zburns
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM
CW, here are some comments to help you sort thru my two long posts. The first post, I did, assuming incorrectly, that this was a simple destop printer, etc. You can basically disregard the first post.

The second post, after I read up on the Z3100. The HP Specs near the bottom of the second post are a direct copy from the HP website for the Z3100. One of the two links is a review "Luminous something" which has a short section on "embedded web server" (this would be the computer), also a section on "printer hard drives". The other link is the HP Specifications on Z3100.

The printer has an ethernet port which I assume is meant to connect to a LAN network via a RJ-45 ethernet cable to a router (EDIT 5pm EST) or directly to the internet if only one internet connection is planned (not your situation)(end Edit). Printer has USB2 port which I read on one site must use "short" USB cables or there will be problems related to lost signals (this implies more remote computers must use ethernet cable to a router to communicate to the printer).

Also saw on a HP webpage, details and picture of a motherboard which I assume is inside the Z3100.

On the Gigabyte mobo you have, I think I remember some weeks back looking at "a GB mobo" and seeing a higher speed for one of the LAN connectors.

I did some more looking before writing this; hope it is helpful.

Edit-Gorgeous printer and great reviews about images!!