PDA

View Full Version : Case and PSU question.

outofthe60s
03-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone. Today's my first day here. I've been investigating on how to select components for a PC build and came across this site. It looks like just what I'm looking for. I've been in the computing field for 25 years but never got into the hardware aspect. Well, it's about time for me to jump in and I want to do so with a PC build. I've been reading about Rob's recommended case. Yesterday I found a deal on an Antec Three Hundred case ($54 with tax from Amazon) and an Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU ($70 until 3/15 from Newegg). That's $124 which is the same as it would cost me for the recommended Antec Sonata III 500 from Amazon. I live in Washington so have to pay the Amazon tax. :-(.

The Three Hundred seems like a better case and the reviews have seemed favorable as far as noise and the PSU is 650W which is right now cheaper than the 500W of the same class which is also the 500W that comes in the Sonata III. Any thoughts on which might be the best selection. My son will be using the system for some gaming.

Thanks

RobN

The Wise Monkey
03-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)

Those are both very good choices. One thing to consider is that the Antec 300 is $55 with free shipping from Newegg, so there isn't much difference between that and Amazon.

Just out of interest, what other components are you thinking about buying?

outofthe60s
03-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)

Those are both very good choices. One thing to consider is that the Antec 300 is $55 with free shipping from Newegg, so there isn't much difference between that and Amazon.

Just out of interest, what other components are you thinking about buying?

Thanks for the reply. I did see that Newegg has the 300 for $55. Thanks for pointing it out. I expect that I'll get it from Newegg when I order the PSU.

I really haven't decided on any other components yet. I was basically going to use Rob's guide to learn from and decide from there. I do know that I want to go 64-bit with Win7. Any hardware suggestions would be much appreciated.

The only concern that I have is that some of the info in Rob's build pages seem to be kind of old. I'm really surprised that he still talks about using Win XP. Maybe that's still his preference though and that's cool. Just not the route that I want to go.

As far as components go, I'm really not sure which direction to go other than learn, learn, learn, then learn some more. I really hope that the kind people here are willing to help me along. I plan on using it for a sound system for the family room, watching Netflix instant movies (when the TV is taken and I can't use the PS3), web surfing, Office apps and my son will be using it for gaming.

I was kinda thinking about starting a "Help me build my next computer" thread and documenting the process there. I'd also use it for asking questions and getting feedback from others. It may be able to help someone else in the future. What do you think, lame idea or "Go for it!"?

Anyway, thanks again. I look forward to getting to know this group better and learning about building my next PC.

RobN

RickyTick
03-13-2010, 08:55 AM
I was kinda thinking about starting a "Help me build my next computer" thread and documenting the process there. I'd also use it for asking questions and getting feedback from others. It may be able to help someone else in the future. What do you think, lame idea or "Go for it!"?
RobN

Definitely go for it. :D
And welcome to the forums.