PDA

View Full Version : Video card recommendation

cwphoto
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi there:

Putting together a new computer system based on recommendations here, but feel that the video card recommended is overkill for me. I do not do any kind of gaming, do not see myself getting into gaming anytime soon. I run a business in digital photo finishing. Accurate color is very important to me, but FPS is not a major issue, and I really don't deal with any video to speak of. With that said, could someone recommend a good video card? Something under a few hundred dollars would be nice.

Again, the EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP I think is overkill for me.

Thanks!

Troy

RickyTick
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey Troy. Welcome to the forums.

Depending on your computer system, you don't necessarily have to have a dedicated video card. If you have "on-board" video, you might be just fine. Can you tell us more about your computer.

cwphoto
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
The system has all the components recommended from www.mysuperpc.com
There is no built-in video on the gigabyte motherboard. I don't have any problem dropping the 200+ dollars on the card recommended, I'm just thinking that it's overkill for my needs. As I mentioned before I don't do any kind of gaming, just digital editing. I run a custom digital photo finishing lab for living. Lots of editing in Photoshop.

Troy

RickyTick
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
By all means, don't spend $200 if you're not a gamer. I'd hate to see the waste of money. Look at something like a Geforce GT240 or a Radeon 5570. You can find them for just under $100 and they are very powerful.