PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Boot Problems

miarno
02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I built a Sweet Spot 2009 from Tech Report.
Processor Intel Core i7-860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333
Graphics Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Samsung SH-S223L
Audio Asus Xonar DX
Power supply Corsair TX650W $
nclosure Antec P183

I used instructions here to build it, and all went smoothly. I put on XP and it went fine, but I went to bed before performing tests (ack).. Today I woke up and read that its dumb not to get Windows 7 and figured this site might not be updated. So this morning I went to the store and got Windows 7, 64 bit, udated edition for students today. I figured I'd do the tests after a new install. Last night, the XP etc, was running swimmingly. I loaded all my drivers and everything seemed to work.

Today I got an upgrade version of Windows 7, at a student discount. I tried to just put in the disk and see what would happen, thinking I could format hard drive from that disk. What happened is that it started moving files and then turned off within 45 seconds.

So I logged onto XP with a new USB wireless, got on a website to download a program that would erase my drive. A Nuke program. In the middle of downloading the program IE crashed twice. Then the whole computer turned off. Fans start up and all, but then they go off. I unplugged everything and plugged them all back in. I downloaded Kill Disk from another computer, put it on a disk, and then booted to it on my new pc. Suddenly I worried that if it kept crashing, I'd be stuck. Sure enough, it crashed. And now I can't get into windows anymore, either.

I don't know if it is the new little usb wireless card that started making my computer crash, or because I put in the Windows 7 disk and it started, and then crashed. I am not sure what steps to take next. I am a newbie to all this, who bragged all night I got the computer going...and then really seeemed to screw up.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Your PC might be overheating - check the temps in the BIOS for a while, see what they are like.

You should be able to format the hard drive from the Windows 7 DVD, so try booting into that again and see if it works.

miarno
02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I think it may be overheating. It says

cpu 89 cel
pch 39 cel

I think that's hot, right? How do I change it?

Thanks

miarno
02-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, I took off the arctic silver an reapplied it. I thought I may have done it incorrectly. I also feel like I set the fan down better. Right now its at 56.5, which seems like it still may be too hot. It's also rising slowly. Maybe a degree every three minutes.

Is there some thing in BIOS I can do to make it cool? Should I turn my fans up? In the time I wrote this (10 minutes with other tasks) I the temperature has raised to 58. I put the fans at high to see if that would help.

Urg!! I don't know what to do :(

miarno
02-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Well, I changed some BIOS Frequency Settings called ADvanced CPU Core features so that there is regulation of the heat, and now the temperature is no longer rising. It stayed cool long enough for me to install Windows 7. I feel like it's a temporary fix...maybe even like because its cool at night, that gave extra help? I have no idea.

But at least it has worked long enough to get windows 7 OS on.

I think I will put a new heat sink, to help out in there.

The Wise Monkey
02-25-2010, 04:21 AM
That is a very hot temperature for the CPU. It shouldn't be that hot, even with the stock cooler. You may want to invest in getting an aftermarket cooler anyway, like you suggested.

RickyTick
02-25-2010, 06:31 AM
I agree, those temps are high.

Check this out. It's a little pricey, but a top performer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001