PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a virus?

treavorbell
02-20-2010, 01:45 PM
For some reason I can not check my Email or go to any Email site.. When I attempt to sign in it sends me to a page that says I have no connection to internet. Then It gives me the dianostics options to check my connection. Does anyone have any idea whats going on with my pc? Also other sites that sometimes require me to sign into for example (Myspace) I get the same problem. Please help if you are able. Thank you ahead of time.

Treavor

zburns
02-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Your ethernet cable plugs into the back of the case. What does it go to, a router close to your computer or to a "modem" specified or provided by your IP provider? I assume you have high speed broadband.

Do you have a separate internal LAN card, or is your LAN connection on the back of the case come off the mobo? Said another way, does the ethernet cable plug into a connector on the back that is part of the "line of connectors" that are attached to your mobo?

If you have a modem specified or supplied by your IP provider, try unpluging the power connection to the modem and the ethernet cable. Leave them unpluged for two minutes. Plug the power connection back in. One of the indicator lights should blink for 30 seconds or so, then stop blinking and stay on continously. At that point, plug the ethernet cable back into the back of the modem. If this works, you just reset a "memory" device within the modem.

The Wise Monkey
02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
What is the URL of the page it sends you to saying that there is no connection?

treavorbell
02-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Ok I go to www.yahoo.com .. that main page loads just fine. although when I try to click SIGN IN, I get this page. http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_ep.ASoFLJ8MAixmbvZx4/SIG=13f8kjkc0/**https%3A//login.yahoo.com/config/login%3F.src=fpctx%26.intl=us%26.done=http%253A%25 2F%252Fwww.yahoo.com%252F

It says Internet Explorer Cannot display page.

treavorbell
02-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Your ethernet cable plugs into the back of the case. What does it go to, a router close to your computer or to a "modem" specified or provided by your IP provider? I assume you have high speed broadband.

Do you have a separate internal LAN card, or is your LAN connection on the back of the case come off the mobo? Said another way, does the ethernet cable plug into a connector on the back that is part of the "line of connectors" that are attached to your mobo?

If you have a modem specified or supplied by your IP provider, try unpluging the power connection to the modem and the ethernet cable. Leave them unpluged for two minutes. Plug the power connection back in. One of the indicator lights should blink for 30 seconds or so, then stop blinking and stay on continously. At that point, plug the ethernet cable back into the back of the modem. If this works, you just reset a "memory" device within the modem.

I do not believe this is the case because I have tried from several different connections including wired and wirless.. I have an Inspiron 700m DELL laptop. This has been an on going problem for about 8 months or so. I was going to try and wipe out everything on my comp and bring it to its original factory settings although I can't seem to get it to work. I believe while in the boot up of the computer I am supose to press ctrl and f9 or f10 I have tried several combonations and nothing seems to work for that either. I would not mind wiping everything on this computer and starting from scartch to see if that worked but I am unable to do that.

RickyTick
02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
On most Dells you can restore it to it's original state, just like the day you first turned it on. I've done this once on my Dell Inspiron laptop. It was very easy and made a huge difference on the pc's performance. You only have to take the time to update all the drivers and especailly Windows updates.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&l=en&s=gen

Hope that helps.

treavorbell
02-21-2010, 11:53 AM
WOOT! That did the trick. I am not sure what the problem was but it has been repaired in the system restore. Thanks for the link rick.

RickyTick
02-21-2010, 08:48 PM
WOOT! That did the trick. I am not sure what the problem was but it has been repaired in the system restore. Thanks for the link rick.

Glad to help.