PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my CPU

newport
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking into upgrading my CPU. I use my computer everyday for about 5 -6 hours of gaming a weekday and about 12 - 14 a weekend day. I have been able to play most games up to now with low settings, but have finally decided that I need to upgrade my CPU.

I recently pre-ordered Battlefield Bad Company 2, and found out that my CPU is below the minimum requirement to play it. I've still been playing the game but have been getting about 8 - 15 FPS. I'm completely CPU-illiterate and not sure what all I need to upgrade. I'm afraid that I'm going to need to upgrade my mobo and my case before I can even think about the CPU. I understand that it is a Dell, and that they use proprietary parts.

Any help or advice would be great. :)

Here are my specs (http://i47.tinypic.com/2zz6jic.jpg)

The Wise Monkey
02-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Hmm, your motherboard is a socket 775, so it should support all of the Core 2 Duo/Quad CPUs, but may require a BIOS update before it does. It might be worth checking out Dell's website and seeing what they say.

For gaming, the E8400 is a very good choice, as the high clock-rate really helps performance. If you want to go for a quad core, then the Q9550 is probably a better option, although more expensive.

RickyTick
02-18-2010, 05:13 AM
You might consider an upgrade to your video card first. The GTS250 is a very nice card, but the GTX260 would be a big improvement, and would be an easy upgrade. Upgrading the cpu on a Dell motherboard could be tricky if it requires a bios update too.