PDA

View Full Version : Monitor won't get the signal from CPU

john123
02-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi guys, when i connect the monitor to my friends desktop...the cpu boots fine but theres nothing on the screen..its just a black. So i try to install the video card but too bad, the desktop is too small, u know the HP Pavilon Slimline which is really tiny. The CPU is fine , i just don't know how to get the signal to my monitor( I've tried on 3 monitors , so its not the monitor problems)

The Wise Monkey
02-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Dodgy cable? Try the least expensive things first. :)

john123
02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
no the cable is from the monitor....i dont think its the monitor problems? since i tried on several monitors....any suggestion?

The Wise Monkey
02-18-2010, 02:47 AM
What video card are you using? Does the motherboard have onboard video?

john123
02-20-2010, 03:11 AM
yeah, it has on board video card. So the problem is i connect monitor cable to on board video card but theres no signal on the monitor. So i try to upgrade the video card but my friend desktop is too small for upgrading video card ( HP Pavilion Slimline s3620f ) ....the video i bought is Geforce 8400 GS...the card is too big, i couldnt put it in). I don't know wat to do rite now...plz help!

The Wise Monkey
02-20-2010, 08:49 PM
It may be that the default video output has been changed somehow. Try re-setting the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for five minutes.

john123
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
all rite i tried it but still didnt work....is there any other method?

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Double check all connections from the PSU to the motherboard.

john123
02-27-2010, 11:50 PM
what does PSU mean? but am pretty sure i already checked all the cable...

The Wise Monkey
02-28-2010, 06:55 AM
PSU = power supply unit. Make sure that both the 20/24-pin cable and the separate 4/8-pin cables are attached to your motherboard (the number of pins varies with each board).

RickyTick
02-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Could it be a conflict in Device Manager?

The Wise Monkey
02-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I think the problem is occurring before it boots into Windows.

I guess the next step would be to try and take some parts out of your friend's PC and put them in a different computer.

Alternatively, you could take everything out of the case and plug the graphics card in when the motherboard is just sitting on a table or something. Be VERY careful if you decide to do this, as you really don't want to mess anything up. Use an anti-static wrist strap if you have one, and put the motherboard on a piece of plastic, or something else that will not conduct electricity. As long as you are careful, everything should turn on and work correctly.

john123
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
ok, i've tried everything you told me above....still didnt work. Today i bought a video card and put it in ...still i didnt see anything on the screen. Idon't know wat to do now, Fry's they charge so much for fixing it. $70 for diagnostic...and its not even my computer...am trying to fix it for my friend. Plz help me out here!!!

RickyTick
03-03-2010, 05:29 AM
John123

This is an HP Pavilion that was working fine, but now the monitor is a black screen. Is this right?

You've tried several different monitors, and none of them work. Right? And these monitors work fine on other computers. Right?

You've tried with no video card, and you've tried with a new video card. Right?

All connections are good. Right?

This should be the specifications for your motherboard.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01357110&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3794733&lang=en

john123
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
ok guys....i figured out that the main board is dead....well the other guy who has 10 years of exps told me ..so i bought a new motherboard which is...Gigabyte G41M-ES2L. Well since this this hp slimline so i can only keep the Ram and DVD burner...everything else is dead even a hard drive. So this time i bought a new case, new motherboard, power supply, video card ..i put them all together....but my first boot ...no display on the screen. Iam not sure its because of my old processor...cuz i keep the old processor. Should i buy the new one ? My old processor is Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200.

To RickyTick: yeah.....the mainboard is dead...anyway it doesnt matter cuz iam building a new computer...plz help me with the question above.

RickyTick
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
The E5200 is a good processor for a "budget" pc. Have you already purchased everything for the new build?

john123
03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
well....i already put everything together...my first boot... no display on the monitor...everything runs fine....the cpu fans,hard drive, dvd burner, new motherboard....in my opinion, i think its the processor problem cuz it's an old processor i took out from the old pc. I don't know if the processor compatible with my new motherboard or not?

Motherboard: Gigabyte G41M-ES2L.
Old Processor: Intel pentium dual core E5200. (compatible issue?)<----Not sure!
DVD Burner : sony
Hard drive: seagate 250GB
Case: midtower...
Power supply: Not sure...(it doesnt say how many watts on the label) (could this be the problem?)<----Not sure!

john123
03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Problem solved!!! So happy!!