PDA

View Full Version : Help with Site for parts

treyh423
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

New to the forums. Im looking at doing my first build. I was hoping someone could help me with a couple questions and pointers.

I know of newegg and another site called PC Infinity. Problem is that I want to know is there a site i can go to that will let me know which parts are compatible with each other. There are so many different mother boards, video cards, etc., that I am unsure which can go with what.

PC Infinity is a site where i can pick the parts and they actually assemble and ship to me. Dont know if anyone has any thoughts or experience but thats an option.

Other than that i have a friend who has done a few of his own who will help but he is not sure which parts go with what as well to a degree.

Appreciate any input. thanks!

RickyTick
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
A great site to check out is www.mysuperpc.com

:D:D:D

Seriously. We would be more than happy to help you decide on the best components for your build. Tell us what you use the computer for, and what your budget is.

CHAD
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Cool, if you Google "compatible computer parts" this site is the #1 result. Anyways, do you know any details at all about which processor you might want to run with? Or maybe you have a specified budget? We could help with choosing and matching parts, but do you have an idea of what you might want? :D

zburns
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Hello Treyh and welcome to the forums. I wanted to ask you if you were planning to use a quad cpu or dual core. I also wanted to ask Wise Monkey, Ricky, Chad, and other forum members if CPU recommendations, quad or dual, should be based only on a "willingness to spend dollars for quad". Is very low cost, the only reason one goes to a dual core at this point.

Many of us have dual cores because we did builds one to two years ago; some have upgraded to quad. My specific question is "if dual core will suit your needs right now" then why buy quad, right now?

Here are my reasons for not upgrading to quad right now. My dual core system runs quite well, fast and minimal problems, if any; I have a low number of apps running at same time, no photoshop or video editing, no gaming and no videos or multiple videos. It is a basic computer for basic office work, browsing the internet, emails etc..

I would like to upgrade to a quad when I understand all peripheral items or things that interact around the CPU, such as memory, turbo boost, hyperthreading and multi - threaded apps. Also, I would like the technology to sit still for a while so I can feel like I am buying something that will remain "a constant for at least three, six months, maybe a year".

Of the above, I think multi threaded apps running on 8 cores (4 real or 4 virtual) is the real thing to understand from all angles.

If you build a quad and cannot take advantage of the technology for six months to a year, you may have gained some education, but the technology will have advanced, either a LITTLE or a LOT. Simply, put when I build a quad, I want it to be an advanced machine that really does me some good.

I want to understand "why" and "what" I get into with my next "advanced" build.

I am basically asking Treyh what he really wants to do with his new build. To add to the above comments, I would also say to Treyh and any other "newbie builders" that these forums are a wonderful "catalyst" for an individual to further his or her computer education.

Questions of all types are posed on this forum that give all of us the opportunity to research that question and try to figure out the right answer. Do this consistently for eighteen months to two years and you really do start to get comfortable around computers.

Specifically, to Treyh, "mysuperpc.com" website offers a number of builds with compatible components plus a lot of individuals who can advise you on components as well as help you trouble shoot problems.

treyh423
02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

So i have approximately $1500 for my budget ( this includes monitor ). If I have to throw a few dollars in to get a nice upgrade on a part, done.

I will be using the computer for my home office, some basic programs, office, internet, etc. Also of course have access to my media like music and videos as well as printing and having wireless capabilities. Lastly the most important or specific task is for gaming. Nothing hardcore but I would like to run games at max settings and be able to do this while running a handful of other programs in the background. No video editing really or anything like that as i have heard those tasks can be demanding.

I am open to any suggestions. From doing some of the research already im leaning towards an Asus motherboard and would like a Nvidia video card. Ask my why? I have no idea... They just sounded great and i have heard good things about them. As far as dual or quad I thing i am leaning more towards dual for the sole reason that I have heard even with four processors, they most likely would not all be used at the same time and you are also splitting the processor strenght over 4 processors vs just 2 of them.

Thanks for any more input.

treyh423
03-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Bump for any input on advice on build and where i can learn to build myself or use a 3rd party to build.

Thank you