PDA

View Full Version : Buying a motherboard

gkmacs
02-12-2007, 07:54 AM
I recently decided to build a system using Rob's parts he suggested or close to. When searching for the best prices I ran into a problem. Maybe some of you have had the same experience. I found a site that had a great deal on the "MSI K8N Neo4 nForce Ultra Socket 939". You had the choice of buying it retail or bulk. I decided to buy bulk. Bad decision! When buying bulk, I found out that you do not get anything extra. You get the item and that is all. No manual, no drivers, nothing! So when I put the system together and at that high moment of the first boot........nothing. I traced and re-traced......still nothing. I called the "Antec" company and they told me it was a power supply fault. Ok....called the company where I purchased the case and they sent me a new power supply. Installed it. Still nothing! What to do.
The next day I decided to search the net for answers. I did find my answer.
When you buy bulk you have no idea where that item was made. My part was version 2. I looked all over the "MSI" site and could not find a version 2. I called them up and they knew about version 2, but did not help me out with the small details! My board had missing pins, the memory banks were not set up the same way as the manual showed and there were a couple of other small changes. So now I have to call the company where I purchased the board and have them send me the "retail" item.
So remember newbies, (like myself) only buy retail and not bulk. I did learn
something from all of this and that's why I'm writing this today. Cheap is not always the best way to go!!!!!!!

Have a great day!

gkmacs

Rob
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Very nice of you to share this important lesson, gkmacs. The most common mistake building a computer is not using quality componets from quality resellers. The recommendations are there for a reason and I use them myself.
http://www.mysuperpc.com