PDA

View Full Version : first timer

pmk00
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
hey, im building a custom pc from a junker i got for free, i have never built one before, and i have fairly limited experience (im not looking to make a high performance machine, just something that can run decently) right now, im looking into using this motherboard i also got for free.. but i dont know much about it. its an ASUS PSA-B with an AMD k6 2, but im going for a new CPU. id appriciate if anyone could give me some tips on whether to use it or not.. thanks

PS

if anyone has any suggestions for compatible cpu's please share them :)

haymaker
06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi first timer, I hope you have success with your project. I have no answers for what you are doing.
I had a few questions about upgrading and tweeking an old hp pavilion computer and the thread has had a few viewers on it but none had any advice so far. Guess it isn't a home built so it is not worth commenting on. Oh well, maybe it was just to generic.
Hope you get answers and help on your customizing, at least you have had more viewers looking at your post. Good LUCK! Old Haymaker.

Rob
06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Ok, here's the thing. - (does anyone else watch Monk? great show)

Tinkering with old computers that use/need pretty much discontinued technology is a great way to learn and you can end up with a useful computer, but it will pose special problems. Now that's cool because it will be a great learning environment, but just bear that in mind.

For one thing, if this is an old technology motherboard then some of those had problems where the capacitors failed and possibly leaked after a while. I don't know if this is what you have, but it's this kind of thing to be aware of.

As far as compatible processors, you could check the makers web-site to see what is compatible. If it's old technology then the good news is that the most powerful processor it supports will not be expensive. That is if you can find it, which you probably can - if not retail then on eBay. And chances are that although it will be a pipsqueak compared to what you can get today, it will still make for quite a useful computer.

But when it's all said and done, it could be that for the money and effort involved, you may as well have built all new. Even so, like I said, it can be great fun and a terrific learning experience.

pmk00
06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Ok, here's the thing. - (does anyone else watch Monk? great show)

Tinkering with old computers that use/need pretty much discontinued technology is a great way to learn and you can end up with a useful computer, but it will pose special problems. Now that's cool because it will be a great learning environment, but just bear that in mind.

For one thing, if this is an old technology motherboard then some of those had problems where the capacitors failed and possibly leaked after a while. I don't know if this is what you have, but it's this kind of thing to be aware of.

As far as compatible processors, you could check the makers web-site to see what is compatible. If it's old technology then the good news is that the most powerful processor it supports will not be expensive. That is if you can find it, which you probably can - if not retail then on eBay. And chances are that although it will be a pipsqueak compared to what you can get today, it will still make for quite a useful computer.

But when it's all said and done, it could be that for the money and effort involved, you may as well have built all new. Even so, like I said, it can be great fun and a terrific learning experience.

The thing is, the motherboard isn't listed on the ASUS website so I'm out of luck for that I think. It came with that AMD k6 2 but if that is the highest I may just go for a new motherboard altogether. Thanks!