PDA

View Full Version : XFX 9800 GTX causes freezing ... ideas?

jwalker87
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Recently did my first build, and all went well except for one little thing. The computer freezes all the time. Completely non-responsive, screen frozen on what it was last doing. Began doing this as soon as it was started, before even connecting to the internet. Have reformatted 3 different HDDs and installed fresh Windows 7 on each, updated all drivers multiple times, removed RAM, unplugged all unnecessary hardware ... no effect. Updating the drivers made it much more stable, but it still freezes sometimes.

I have found it happens mostly when doing graphics-intensive operations. I downloaded rthdribl to test the GPU, and when I try anything on 16x multisampling, it freezes pretty quickly. Temps are at or under 60*C for the GPU. Also, I can run Prime95 all day long with no issues, all 3 types of tests, CPU core temps stay below 70*C or so.

What definitively narrowed it down to the video card was, I installed my old 7800 GT, and now everything runs smoothly. Not a glitch anywhere. It won't do the 16x multisample either, but the program just freezes (understandable for an old video card), and the system keeps trucking just fine.

Any ideas? My setup is below.

Mobo: Biostar TPower i55
CPU: Intel Core i7-860
RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2gb
Power: SeaSonic S12D (850W)
GPU: XFX GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition
working GPU: XFX GeForce 7800 GT
HDD: RAID0 160gb hard drives or standard SATA 320gb drive, same results on both

The Wise Monkey
02-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Did you plug in the extra power adapter for the GTX?

If so, then it sounds like you just have a dodgy card, unfortunately.

jwalker87
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Yes, I plugged in PCI-E power plugs to both inputs on the card. I am supposed to use both plugs right? I'm just confused becuase the card worked fine in my old setup (Windows 7, Dell Precision 370).

The Wise Monkey
02-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Hmm, that is odd. Yes, both plugs are necessary.

Since updating the drivers seemed to do something, I would think that it is probably some kind of driver issue. Then again, you said that it worked fine in your previous system, so that is even more confusing!

jwalker87
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Yup! Even same OS, from the same install disc. I may just take XFX up on the lifetime warranty, maybe there's just something funky with the card.

jwalker87
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
To update the situation, the card works fine in my old computer, which is strange. I plugged it into the second PCI-E slot in the mobo, and now everything works perfectly. Almost a week with no freezes while running a lot of video games and the rthdribl with all settings as high as they go. Might be a defective mobo, but I think sending it back would be a bigger pita than living with one PCI-E slot.

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Very strange - I guess that the slot doesn't work properly.

Anyhow, glad that you can now play games. :)