PDA

View Full Version : Booting using old HDD with Win7 installed?

jwalker87
02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section; kinda boot-related, kinda OS. Just built my computer with help from this website in the research and it booted the CMOS first time, and everything looks good. I took a WD 160gb SATA HDD out of my old computer with Win7 installed. When I go to load windows, it gets 5-10 seconds into loading, then BSOD and reboots. Same thing with attempting to boot into Safe Mode, I forget what actual instruction it resets on. I can look it up if that matters. Specs of the build are below.

Should there be a problem doing this? I can wipe the drive and reinstall windows, but it's a fairly recent install and I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up and restoring my data if it's not necessary. Thanks!

The computer:
Mobo: Biostar TPower i55
CPU: Intel Core i7-860
RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2gb
Power: SeaSonic S12D (850W)

The Wise Monkey
02-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Hi jwalker, welcome to the forums.

If you boot into the Windows DVD, there should be an option to "Repair your computer". Go to this, and go through the Startup Repair wizard. This might fix the problem, but you may end up having to do a re-install.

In the good old days of XP, you used to be able to run a repair installation of the whole OS, not just the startup portion. This would give you a clean install of the OS files but without getting rid of any files or programs you installed. Shame they took this option out really.

jwalker87
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks. Somehow I inadvertently clicked to re-install windows, but it saves the old Windows files, so no biggie! Works now, thanks! Now on to the adventure of overclocking...