PDA

View Full Version : short flash of power and immediate shutdown

bc165
01-16-2010, 07:08 AM
started a new build for my wife, got to the first boot and pushed the power button and the fans all started, LED's on the Mem lit up for 1 second or less then shut down. If left with the power on it will continue this cycle. I'm stumped. took it all apart and reassembled and same thing. thinking i got a bum MOBO or i have a ground issue.
Any thoughts??

zburns
01-16-2010, 09:20 AM
As you troubleshoot, you must use good static protection. See my bottom paras numbered 1., 2., and 3. . If you have questions about how to use static control, post back to me, first.

Check your wiring connections from your front panel to the mobo very carefully and refer to your mobo manual as you do it. Make sure the properly labeled wire is going to the correct pin on the mobo. I know this sounds stupid or redundant, but when stuff is as small and delicate as some computer parts are, poor lighting, small print, etc. it is really easy to make a mistake.

Pull out all cables to back of case except power cord; pull out monitor video cable also.

If you have on board video and a video card, pull the card. If you do not have on board video, pull the card anyway. Right now, at first, you want minimum components. Take out all but one memory board. Unplug cables to DVD RW. You just want mobo, HD, PSU and one RAM.

Since it is shutting down you can unplug your HD also.

Your minimum circuit one RAM, mobo and PSU and no monitor. If the problem still persists it is in one of those three components or case wiring. You can try different sticks of RAM, but one at a time and always use static control, even when handling components.

1. I hate to bring this up. In my area, Metro Atlanta GA, we have had extreme cold now for two weeks. Nights in the 15 degree range, some days never above freezing. I have never seen "static" discharge like I have for about these last 10 days. I can walk in the room and just touch the front of my Antec Sonata case, and the computer comes on. If I remember, I will first touch one of the screw heads on the back of the case, and, that discharges my static charge.

As I walk around, I can constantly touch some things and "feel" some static discharge.

2. So think back over how consistently you have used good static protection; unfortunately static can be a problem.

3. Use a wrist strap designed for static protection. Wrist strap connected to case -- just follow Rob's instructions. Unplug the power cord. Do not go into case with your hands unless power cord is unpluged. Always touch case first, before touching any components.

zburns
01-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Sorry, but I should have mentioned your standoffs. Your mobo has a fixed number of holes for standoffs. Your case is ATX I presume. Your mobo is for an ATX case, I presume. Either the mobo booklet or the case booklet will tell you where standoffs go. You do not install any washers, on top of standoffs or underneath the screw head before you put it thru the mobo hole into a standoff.

As you mounted your fan over the CPU, if any washers were used, it should only be "if the mobo or fan manual said to do so"; same rule about any thing else you mounted, some "written instruction should tell you how to do it".

I know you probably know all this from your other build; I am just covering the bases. Hope something has worked out by now!