PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

RickyTick
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok, so I'm jumping into the world of dual monitors. I've already made up my mind that I need a second monitor, so I just need to decide what would be the best match for me.

I currently use a 22" Samsung 226BW and want to continue to use this as my main monitor. The dot pitch is 0.282 and the native resolution is 1680 x 1050. I was thinking about a decent 19 or 20 inch as my 2nd monitor, and I'm hoping to spend less the $150 USD.

I'm looking for suggestions on a good monitor, and if you think the second monitor should be the same size as my current one, or something smaller.

A little help please. :)

zburns
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Ricky, What are you using the second monitor for? That said, I will through out a few comments. If my use for each monitor is similar, I would try to get exactly the same monitor I was presently using. This means all the specs would be the same. Also means when I look from one monitor to the other monitor, the same images would show up the same size.

If you have a 22" monitor and drop to a 19" but the dot pitch is approx the same, different native resolutions for each monitor, the same image will be larger on the 22" than the 19", unless you adjust one resolution away from the native resolution to apx match image size. If you did that, the sharpness on one monitor would be better than the other and your eyes would pick it up in a heartbeat, and annoy you to no end, maybe.

Biggest advantage for using the same version for all multiple monitors is that "all the specs are the same" and at native resolution on all monitors, all perceptions of images, even if different, will have a "continuity of appearance (contrast, sharpness, color, etc) that will not trick your eyes".

All that said, I have not done it, nor looked at a multiple monitor install, but it should work this way.. I have a Samsung 245 BW, similar to your 22"; I will admit that two of my 24" side by side is a lot of real estate to look at; so what they are individually used for may be a key. I would be interested in other viewpoints.

RickyTick
01-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Truth is, I've enrolled in classes at my local college. I have signed up for an AS degree in Web Technologies. Since I already have a 4yr Bachelors degree, I was able to place out of all the lower level classes and sign up for just the core classes in Web Technologies. The great part is that I'm able to take all these classes Online and virtually never step foot on campus.

During my first week of classes, I've found that I have muiltiple windows open at the same time. I'm trying to read one page while typing in another, or watching a tutorial in one screen, and duplicating in on another. So my thought was that a second (inexpensive) monitor would make this much easier. My desk has lots of room, but I don't need to dump a bunch of money into anything elaborate. I'm not opposed to getting a Refurbished monitor from the Dell Outlet.

Just looking for some ideas and suggestions.
Thanks much.

zburns
01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Congrats on what you are doing! Sounds great. I guess my argument in my post applies more to images than just text. Sounds like you are dealing mainly with text. If you have multiple windows open at a time and you are reading them, are you having to use vert and hor scroll bars, and, if so is not using the scroll bars a big distraction?

Seems to me that if I were doing what you looking at, I would prefer two windows per monitor open so that I could see full text at a decent size without having to scroll vert or horizontal, because when I study something, I go "back and forth" all over the page. I am just saying that if you did not want to have to scroll, then you would pick a size that would allow two open windows without any scrolling; that would work for typing also. I am talking normal 8 1/2 x 11 work. I myself just do not know how many open windows in one "defined" monitor area I could stand to have open and not call them distractions. Sounds to me like I could stand only two per monitor if I was having to do combinations of serious reading and typing. Even so with two open windows per monitor, 22" is not that big. I just opened 2 notepad windows on my 24" and they looked like normal pages size wise, close enough. I then added two more, 4 total spaced equally around the monitor -- not enough surface area for me without scrolling -- my perception is that the four windows on my monitor would affect my concentration. They are too small and when I scroll I cover something up, etc.. Enough!!

RickyTick
01-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm faced with. I'm finding myself with 4 or more windows open at any given time. It can get confusing and aggravating clicking back and forth between them. I may just go with another 22" widescreen with the same dot pitch.

zburns
01-15-2010, 09:33 AM
You have to start somewhere. I was comfortable with my suggestions for two monitors; putting up two "in effect" 8 1/2 x 11 pages per monitor, having the additional ability to drop additional "minimized" links or pages at the bottom of the monitor all seems like a good "study" desk to me.

One other point, and I do not know how to do this, but if I had a blank 8 1/2 x 11 opening, I would want it "filled" with a medium drab color. A completely empty full page of "even low brightness" white, I would find quite annoying.

RickyTick
01-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for tips Z. Much appreciated.

The Wise Monkey
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I have three monitors at work - I know it is greedy, but the left one has Outlook open all the time, the right one has our PC request logging system and a web browser open, and the middle one contains anything I'm working on at the moment. :D

I gave on of my monitors at home to my sister as a moving in present, so I've "just" got my Samsung 22" Rose Black to use now...

chunkylover53
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I have dual monitors, but just so it looks cool when my matrix screen saver kicks in. ;-). Kidding aside, I use t for game guides while I'm playing, and even a cheap on will do.

RickyTick
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I went with this one. $20 off, free shipping, and a $20 rebate. Total $149.
It's the same size as my Samsung, same native resolution, and same dot pitch.
What do you think?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236050

zburns
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Looks really good. Specs are identical to very close to what you have. A good choice.

RickyTick
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
*Update*

I'm really digging my dual monitor setup. It makes such a huge difference with so many windows open at the same time.

One downside is that with dual monitors, my GTX275 does not downclock when in 2D mode. This is the case with all GTX2xx Nvidia video cards. I was not aware of that until I noticed my card temps were running much higher than normal. I just had to turn up the fan speed to keep the card at a reasonable temp. It's not a big deal though.

zburns
01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Ricky, Glad to hear "success". Is it too early to ask what kind of "windows" layout are you comfortable with, assuming no annoyances. Like 4 windows on #1 monitor (have to scroll), and on #2 monitor, two windows stacked (have to scroll) and on one half of # 2 monitor, a full page for typing or just concentrated work, all with no scrolling.

RickyTick
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
It actually changes depending on the task at hand. I'm running Notepad ++ and WinSCP in very small windows while a 2 or 3 websites are running too. I also have Word open some of the time.

With a 22" widescreen, I've found having two windows side by side functions very well.

runningman10000
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
RickyTick, how do you like that Asus moniter? It's still got a good price at Newegg and it gets good reviews. I'm doing my first build (another thread)and I want a new moniter. It will be mostly for general computing, maybe watch a movie or two, web browsing, etc. Would you recommend it? How do you guys rate Dell moniters?
Thanks

RickyTick
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I like this Asus just fine. I bought it on sale for like $149 after rebate. The quality of the monitor is excellent. The picture is a little on the bright side. I haven't been able to adjust the brightness and/or contrast to a level that looks as good as my Samsung. Overall, this is a perfect monitor for the price.

As for Dell monitors, they are great. People can poo-poo Dell all they want, but their monitors are outstanding. Take a good look at the UltraSharp U2410.

runningman10000
03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
The Asus seems to be discontinued at Newegg, I'll have to look around. I have a 7 year old 17" Dell Ultrasharp that still works pretty good. It's going to my daughter when the new build is done. The 24" Dell is nice but the price....OUCH! To rich for me. I like the 22" Dell HD. It's a good price and a nice size. I don't like the back of it being white but I won't see it most of the time. The moniter is a tough purchase because how it looks is pretty subjective. You can't find all the ones to look at physically and have to rely on reviews and such.

zburns
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I just lost a longer post on your monitor situation. I will try to repost it later today. You can see a good, honest review on the Dell U2410 on TFT Central, a UK site that specializes in monitors. This Dell gets away from the TN panel which is good if you need too. There review conclusion is problematical, maybe.

You might look at Samsung or Asus. I have a Samsung 24" and am quite happy with it. It has a TN screen which is good as long as you look perpendicular to the screen. Go up or down with your viewing angle and the color contrast goes light (eyes down) or very dark (eyes up). All TN screens behave this way. Most if not all very low cost monitors use TN screens or panels.

For a long time, several years, Dell has only offered TN panels; now they have switched off them for a better viewing panel, namely a IPS screen which will have a better viewing angle.

In lieu of the Dell, look at Samsung or Asus. Ricky has both. He seemed to imply the Samsung a little easier to use than the Asus.

Do not try to buy the cheapest. Your monitor is "what you look at"; you want to be able to turn on your computer, monitor lights up and you use it. I adjust my brightness high (100%) if I want to see good color or color richness; otherwise I run the brightness down to 25%.

For how I use my computer, I am happy with my Samsung; never a problem. Would not use it for accurate professional color work.