PDA

View Full Version : CPU Cooler Fan Does Not Start on Power Up

stuartshaw
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Here are the specs for my build (basically, all of "What I would get today":
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (dual-core)
Ram: Crucial 4096MB (4GB) PC8500 DDR2 (about 3.00GB usable)
Video Card: eVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB DDR3 PCI-E
Case: Antec Sonata III with 500-Watt power supply
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT

When I hit the start button, the case fan starts, LEDs on the MOB light up, but the cooler fan does not start. It seems as though it tries to (it seems to kick over very slightly). I switch off the power within several seconds to prevent damage to the CPU. I tried connecting the stock cooler to the CPU Fan header on the MOB and it responds the same way, so I don't think it's the cooler. I reset the CMOS and got the same result. With no power connections to MOB and the back power switch on, I get a 5V reading from the 2x12 main power connector, but no power from the 2x4 connector (this might be normal, since the power switch was activated). Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue would be very much appreciated.

The Wise Monkey
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
The CPU fan doesn't always start straight away - some motherboards wait until it is required before starting the fan. Let it boot into the BIOS and keep an eye on the temperaures, and see if the fan kicks in.

stuartshaw
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
You were exactly right. I waited a bit longer and the fan started spinning. I booted to the "disk boot failure" message. On to the next step. Thank-you so much!

The Wise Monkey
01-04-2010, 03:10 AM
No problem - if you have any more problems, let us know so we can try and help. :)