PDA

View Full Version : Antec Sonata III Thoughts & Question

Convertible Guy
12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I've nearly completed my first build. I just have to do the diagnostics, performance tests, and checkouts but Win 7 is running smoothly with updated drivers. I have a few thoughts and a question about the Sonata III case.

First my thoughts:
* Its definitely a nice case. It is easy to work with during the build and very quiet.
* The instructions are pretty good. I'd give them about a 7.5 out of 10.
* Interestingly, one of the most difficult parts of the installation for me was installing the Sony DVD (5.25" external drive) . The Sonata instructions state: "Each drive bay comes with a plastic cover with two drive rails attached behind the cover." I took the cover off and searched all over behind the cover inside the case for the drive rails and could not find them. They are not simply behind the plastic drive bay cover, they are actually attached to the back of it. I would never have figured this out had I not viewed the video review of the case by 3D Game Man on the Antec website. He shows how the 5.25" external devices are mounted.
* Having found the drive rails, I discovered that the drive does not mount flush with the front of the case when attaching the rail to the drive using a screw through either of the first two unobstructed holes on the drive rail. The third hole is partially obstructed by the plastic part of the rail. Drilling out the plastic from the third hole and mounting using screws through that hole yields a nice flush result.
* The only negative to the case is the door on the front of the case. It covers the power button, the reset button, and all the external drive bays. If you're going to be using the CD/DVD, floppy, or other device behind the door a lot, you're either leaving the door open or opening and closing a lot.

Finally, the question:
The users manual for the Sonata III states: "We recommend AGAINST using a front fan for maximum quiet computing." (emphasis not added by me). However, the aforementioned video review on the Antec website strongly suggests installing a front intake fan. So what do you think? Should a second fan be added? What are the main considerations? If so, what is a good fan?

zburns
12-27-2009, 10:39 PM
I suggest you do not install a front fan until you "prove" that you need one. My build is close to yours, component wise incl a dual core; my CPU runs at a low 42 degrees C when I am using it minimally -- and no games. Over time you can determine if you need a second fan by monitoring your CPU temp.

A second fan, I assume, would cause more dust to be sucked in and will add to the noise level.

Regards the door: Take a look at the approx 1/8" wide by 4 3/4" long opening on the "lock" side (right side as you face it). There is a similiar open slot on left side. These are intake air ventilation slots that direct the air to the openings at the side of the drive bays. It is around these drive bay openings that dust will build up over time (a long time). My observation is that the door acts as another limiting factor in dust intake which I consider a benefit -- the intake surface area of the top front half of the cabinet is limited to these two "intake slots" which are small.

Even tho you have to use the door, if it does limit dust accumalation, right now, I feel it is a benefit.

AND -- Congradulations on the new build. Sounds like you did a good job!!

rexh
12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I built a system back in April with a Sonata III and had the same concerns about whether to install a front fan. I took a wait and see attitude and I am glad that I did. I have never had an issue with CPU temps and I am using a 95W chip with the stock AMD cooler and factory paste that a lot of reviewers on Newegg were critical of. One of the advantages of the Sonata III is its quiet operation and I don't think there is a good reason to compromise that feature unless you have specific cooling issues.