PDA

View Full Version : OS Installation - Fatal Error?

Randal1800
12-20-2009, 04:05 PM
I am building Rob's Super PC. I am attempting to install Windows XP and then upgrade to Windows 7. When I began the Win XP install, it began as described, I hit F6 for 3rd party drivers, and the install proceeded. After a few minutes, I got the Blue Screen of Death with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If the screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use the safe mode to remove or disable component, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
pci.sys – Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c."

I attempted to start the installation again, but the same scenario and message occurred. I tried to get into the Advanced Startup Options but it took me to a an area that was not the Advanced Options.

Any ideas on how to get back on track?

chunkylover53
12-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd run Memtest86 to check your memory for errors. Then I would try installing W7 without installing XP first. The W7 upgrade disks can do a full install, and at most it might ask you to insert your XP disk to confirm you have a copy. I might also try to skip the 3rd party drivers step too, and install drivers after the fact.

zburns
12-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Earlier posts in the last ten days discussed the fact that Vista had most if not all drivers; Win 7 should have them also.

Randal1800
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Chunkylover53 I tried to run Memtest86, but it will not run from my DVD-ROM, I had the same problem with Data Life Guard. I don't have a floppy drive, only SATA Optical Drives. I will try to install the WIN 7 upgrade without installing XP first. Won't I run into the same problems?

The Wise Monkey
12-21-2009, 05:25 PM
The Windows 7 disk should have some memory diagnostics built in that you can use.

Randal1800
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I did as all suggested and installed WIN 7 without installing XP first. It worked, BUT did not accept the Product Key and did not ask for XP disk and/or that product key. I assume I have 30 days to validate the copy or it will stop working, correct? How do I go about validating it?

I ran the Memory diagnostics in WIN 7 and it says I have no errors, so from that aspect I am good.

Should I install the 3rd party drivers or just assume that those in WIN 7 are sufficient?

zburns
12-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Here is a link that addresses your Win 7 Key/validate question precisely: http://windowssecrets.com/2009/11/12/02-Clean-install-Windows-7-from-the-upgrade-disc

Read the whole article, what you are looking for is about half way thru the article.

Regards drivers, my experience on my build(May 2008) with Vista was similar to your present exp with Win 7; you are probably fine with what Win 7 loaded for you.

chunkylover53
12-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Yup, as it states in the article zburns linked to, just try to activate again once you are in windows.

Randal1800
12-24-2009, 08:58 AM
After reading the suggested article, I ended up reinstalling Win 7 over Win 7, which worked, the product key was accepted, but I still need to connect to the Internet to complete the activation.

Incidentally, I called MS to try to activate over the phone and was told my activation was invalid and to reinstall Win 7....I was then immediately hung up on, no chance to ask a question. Seems MS could stand to train their staff in customer service.