PDA

View Full Version : USB Hard Drive Dock

Barrister73
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I have a 1.5T drive hooked in through a Rosewell USB dock. It is supposed to be hot-swappable, and sort of is. If I have the dock on when I start the computer, it works fine. If the dock is not on when I start the computer then, after I turn the dock on, I have to unhook the USB from the computer and put it back in so that the computer recognizes that it is hooked up. Is there any way to not have to perform this ceremony for the computer gods to allow me to use the drive?

MRR

zburns
12-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Barrister,
I have been looking for "decisive comments on the net" for several days since your original post; oddly, enough nothing that specifically addresses what you were asking. This in turn leads me to some assumptions and a way to find out for sure. By the way, what is the model number of the Rosewill device you have?

Early on I called Rosewill tech support, result was a semi-helpful call. Not sure what Rosewill sent out in the way of instructions with their product.

One article or site provides some insight into USB, plug and play, hot swappable devices at this link: http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/hot-swapping-usb-devices.php. The article was written in 2006 and based on XP; out of date, yes, but still helpful.

Regards USB plug and play, the important statement being "...not all hot swappable devices are necessarily hot swappable...". I did have another article that I have temporarily lost (I hope) that said this also, but went further saying something like "hot swappable does not ..entirely..apply to storage devices.

A lot of google entries for the Thermatake BLAC X docking station. Their user manual is online.

Quick installation instruction as follows: 1. Connect cables to dock and then computer USB port. 2. Connect the power cable to dock. 3. Insert SATA Hard Drive into Dock. 4. Turn on power switch.

5. No driver needed. OS should find and install the dock automatically. 6. wait until OS completes all installations before usage.

I copied the above install inst. and left out a few words, but what I wrote is the important stuff. They call it quick installation, but assuming you do things in this order, items 1 thru 5 and leave them alone, that fits your description of the way "your device works" as opposed to "not working" (ie, turning on the dock after your computer has booted.)

So Thermatake says basically, install the device, turn it on, but let the OS do its thing (booting up) before usage. This statement does imply that if you boot first, and then turn on the dock it may not work. Now, my argument is based on the Thermalake install instructions, but I really think you are describing a software problem, not a hardware problem -- so I think the Thermatake example is valid.

To double check what I am saying, I am emailing Thermatake tech support and basically asking them "your question" so that will confirm whether the above "argument, solution, etc." is valid.

Another comment I read in one of the articles, was that plug and play and hot swappable worked as advertised on devices where "software interface was relatively simple", but was problematic for the opposite, "software interface complicated".

Last point, here is a link to a good review on a new Vantec HDDs docking station (August 2009). You will note in the specs that it claims "plug and play" but no mention of hot swappable. Here is the link: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Vantec/NexStar_Dual_HDD_Dock.

Summary: I am not saying my conclusions are correct; I hope Thermatake will confirm it. But all the stuff I read and when I fill in the blanks, it really seems "the way yours does work is the right way".

zburns
12-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Here is a link to a PCStats review on the Thermaltake BLACX which I talk about above. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2267&page=2

It is a four page article but with a lot of pics so it reads quickly.

Page two at the bottom has this statement which I think will answer your question: "Once the Thermaltake BlacX is connected to the computer with the USB 2.0 data cable, turn it on. From then on you can install or remove hard drives from the bay as you wish."

On this product, hot swappable refers to instant changing of the hard disc in the docking station, but a requirement seems to be a HD in the dock when the power switch is turned on and the cables have to already be connected when the power switch is turned on.

I still have some questions and will try to get them answered from the company.

Barrister73
12-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Quick response since I'm heading out the door;

The "manual" that came with the dock (RX-DU100) had a sketch of what was included in the box. I don't think it even said how to hook it to the computer, let alone how to use it once connected.

I thought that the docking station was working correctly. I just thought that there might be a USB setting that I could change to make it more hot-swappable. I just don't understand how unplugging and replugging the USB cord can have the station be recognized, but turning it on and off won't. But, I never claimed to understand electronics more advanced than a light switch.

Thank for the help.
MRR