PDA

View Full Version : Want to upgrade processor help

Cirndle
06-20-2007, 01:24 AM
I currently have a
Intel (Essex) Mobo
CPU= Pentium 4 - 2.4 GHz R3

Can I use the same mobo and put in a new cpu?

If same socket type just more GHz? to a 2.8 northwood? P4

haymaker
07-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi there Cirndle;
I see your asking about the same question that I am wanting to know except I am wanting to change out an Intel Pentium(R) III 600EB - ( 600 MHz(slot 1, 133MHz)) for either an Intel Pentium III 800EB (800 MHz) as the maximum Hewlett Packard supported replacement or to go on up some and go for a 1GHz Intel Pentium III.
I am wondering if that will stress the computer out or if it just makes it run that much faster and easier?
Does anyone have answers for us? Thanks, Haymaker

The Wise Monkey
07-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Processors are interesting things, in that as long as the socket type matches then you can go as high as you want afaik.

There's no reason to buy a new mobo - just whack the new processor in and watch it fly.

Cirndle
08-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Dont thread jack, but its cool lol.

If I bought a new mobo since mine is proprietary dell mobo, what kind would you suggest to have a future to overclock?

And what type of cheap celeron setup could I get to overclock it as a temporary computer for a bit for soemone else until i can get a c2d?

The Wise Monkey
08-04-2007, 03:31 AM
Hmm, since you can get an e4500 for about £50, there really is no point going for a celeron any more.

Cirndle
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Could you help me find an affordable computer to overclock.

I have been surfing the net and posting in forums and reading alot.

I get how to do it, with bios, pin mods, gpu mods vcore, vdimm, nbitor for nvidia graphics cards, etc.

Could you help me out you and Jamie seem to be very smart in overclocking and components in general thanks you monkey you monkey yes u are lol.

Jamie Nixx
08-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Right, firstly, you should really only overclock your CPU, as this is the only thing that remains quite stable under heavy load.

Basically to do it you have to increase the FSB speed in the bios, by a very small amount each time, test it, and then do it over and over until you get your desired speed.

Overclocking is a good way to get that little bit extra out of your components, but not at a cost, if you overclock you CPU, GPU or Ram the life of the component is shortened, so a component that should last for 5 years may only last for 3 years, depending on how much you overclock.

Plus, overclocking voids the waranty on components.

If you still want to do it, i can recommend some good motherboards and coolers for you.

And WM is right, celerons are old news, you need a core 2 duo.

Cirndle
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Can I get an overlclocking rig better then this for under 1k including a good screen like this one?

mwave.com cooler master centurion case mid tower silver black ws=48.59
newegg.com DFI INfinity NF UltraII-M2 ws=81.39
newegg.com AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9ghz socket AM2 ws=65.96
newegg.com Artic Silver 5 thermal compound ws= 11.41
newegg.com OCZ Platinum rev2 2gb 1gbx2 240pin DDR2 800 (Pc26400) dc kit ws=134.75
40mailinrebate for ram 30days
www.newegg.com Zalman CPU 9500 cooler AM2 fan/heatsink ws=58.38
tigerdirect.com evga geforce 7900gs 256mb x16 ko ws=143.48
20mail rebate
www.newegg.com Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM
SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ws=69.63
www.newegg.com OCZ gamexstream atx12v 600w psu ws=125.27
mail in rebate of 10 bucks.
DVD +/- rw dl nec oplicator ws=32.99
LCD open box Sceptre 20.1 5ms div widescreen kick ass= 144.99 without shipping
cpu/artic/ram/mobo/psu/thermal/cpucooler/hdd/dvdrom from newegg.com ws=733.16 +mwave case=48.59 =total 781.75

Thanks for your help. IM not familar with C2D.

The Wise Monkey
08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Couple of suggestions:

1. Get a C2D - honestly, they are much better than AMD at the moment. An e6400 running at stock speed will totally out-perform an overclocked AMD chip.

2. For better overclocking RAM, I'd recommend Corsair PC2-6400 RAM - great quality brand.

3. ASUS is a renowned overclocking motherboard maker, so you should probably go for that.

Cirndle
08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I only said that one because I had seen it for 500 total or 800 and they got 3.0ghz without much cooling needed kind of amazing architeture.

Can you suggest some components and more pricing please?

Jamie Nixx
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok, so you are sure you want to get into overclocking, right.

Core 2 duo's are made to be overclocked, and as WM said, even a cheap stock Duo will out perform most AMD's.

The price for a decent mid range Duo is going to be around £120, i'll leave the currency exchange to you if your in the US or anywhere else.

Ram, Corsair make the best overclockers, but just to jazz things up a bit there are also some other brands to go for.

Corsair make the best overclcokers in my opinion
OCZ, excellent Ram and priced well
Geil, cheap but very good
Patriot, very expensive, up there with the best for overclocking
Mushkin, very expensive but good also

Asus are renowned for churning out excellent overclocking boards, but are quite expensive, if you were going to be using the computer for gaming as well as whatever else you want to do i would suggest the Asus P5N-E SLI board, one of the best overclockers and one of the best Intel and gaming boards available, your looking at around £80 for one of those.
But Abit, Gigabyte and Foxconn all make very good overclockers, and Foxconn is the one to go for if your on a budget.

The cooler that comes with a retail core 2 duo is very good for overclocking, nothing major but pulls its own when it counts and as a stock cooler, i would rate it higher than a lot of aftermarket coolers out there.

Hope this helps

The Wise Monkey
08-16-2007, 05:08 AM
If you are serious about OCing, you may want to invest in a water-cooling system as well, to give your components some extra protection.

Cirndle
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay so which C2D is good for budget, and also for overclockability?

Jamie Nixx
08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
E6400 would be a good bet, or you could go for the E6750, pricey but overclocking that CPU would push it past most CPU' s available.

Water cooling would be nice, but it can be very expensive for a decent setup, unless your going to become some overclocking demon, the fan that comes with the C2D should suffice.

I'll say it again, overclocking a C2D is pointless in my opinion, as they are already mind blowingly fast and will rip up anything AMD has to offer, but if you have your heart set on it go for it.

Cirndle
08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
What is a good system mainly for online gaming fps, internet surfing, and homework.

Intel C2D processor.
Only requirement. Want to use without overclocking it, but have the option.

The Wise Monkey
08-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Get the e6750 - great performance, reasonable price.

FPS is mostly influenced by your GFX card though.