PDA

View Full Version : Max RAM with WIN 7

Randal1800
11-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I am new to the forum and thinking about building my first computer. On the website I read that only less than 4 Gb of RAM is addressed with XP. Two questions, why do the retail computers come with up to 8GB? Does the new WIN 7 only access 4 GB also or can it access more?

Randy

RickyTick
11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Randy. Welcome to the forums.

It's a limitation of the operating system and whether if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. The 32 will only address about 3.5 gb of ram, whereas a 64-bit can utilize up to 192gb of ram (in Windows 7 Ultimate). Huge difference!! Also, not all motherboards can support that much ram, so there are limitations there too.

The real question is, How much ram do you really need? If you're a casual user that surfs the net, sends/receives emails, word processing, and some gaming, then you could get away with as little as 2gb of ram, but would be much better off with 4gb of ram. If you're a little more on the hard-core gaming side, then I would say 4gb would be your minimum.

If you're into Photoshop, and/or video editing, or any other really demanding software, then you might consider up to 8gb of ram. I can't imagine needing any more than that unless you're a professional user.

Hope that helps some. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Randal1800
11-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks Ricky that helps. The reason I'm building a new computer is to do a lot of photoshop and video editing, so I guess I need 8 Gb. Does that mean I have to run a 64-bit system?

RickyTick
11-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Yes, you must have a 64-bit OS to utilize that much ram. Windows 7 64-bit Professional might be a good option for you.

Randal1800
11-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks. I think for now I might just stick with XP and 4 GB. I can always upgrade later if I get frustrated.

The Wise Monkey
11-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Why do you want to stick with XP? Bear in mind that it is eight years old, and there have been a lot of computing advances in that time.

Windows 7 offers much better security, better multi-threading support and generally better performance on newer hardware.

I can't think of any valid reason for staying with XP now.

zburns
11-16-2009, 10:34 AM
You might want to call adobe about a using XP on a new computer with adobe photoshop. Reasoning: Adobe went from 32 bit to 64 bit for Vista about a year ago and obviously they have been working with Win 7 for some time now. I do not think they have worried much about XP for the last several years; that is not saying you cannot get adobe that works on XP. Basically I am just giving an example of what Wise Monkey just wrote about.

Another subject. If you are doing "business", contract work with photoshop, your monitor choice matters. Most low cost monitors in the last several years use TN screens or panels. Such a panel has varying degrees of contrast depending on whether you are looking at the panel at a perpendicular (90 degree) angle or whether "you are looking down at an angle -- less contrast and lighter image" or looking up at an angle -- more contrast and darker image.

Randal1800
11-22-2009, 07:16 AM
These are all good points. I reread Rob's section on 32 bit vs 64 bit and realized that you can run 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine. Are there any downsides to having a 64 bit system?

RickyTick
11-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Are there any downsides to having a 64 bit system?

Your computing superiority may make your friends jealous. :D

zburns
11-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Go down the road a year from now regards Win 7 and quad processors. Are not software developers now and in the future going to be writing their Apps for 64 bit primarily and with a 32 bit option? 64 bit because (as Wise Monkey said in an earlier post) multi thread software in multi thread quad processors is the way to get the most data at a high speed thru a processor, along with 4 or more gig of RAM. Such a processor/64 bit, multi thread operating, will outperform most of our present dual core, machines with 32 bit -- but if your present apps run fast enough and look fine, why move from 32 bit right now, in the absence of 64 bit multithread software, quad core or not?

I have Vista 32 bit and I assume I can upgrade for $ 199 retail to 32 bit Win 7 but I also get a 64 bit Win 7 disc, so later I can wipe out 32 bit and do a clean install of the 64 bit. Or I can do a 64 bit clean install for $ 200 right now.

I am for going to Win 7 right now, with some doubt about 64 bit being beneficial to me since I am on a dual core with 3.5 gig usable RAM; to me the 3.5 gig acts as a cushion for what I would call "surges in RAM" that do not last long but do protect against "slow down".

If I were doing a lot of photoshop, this last statement would be important. If I were building a new computer with a quad right now, I would do at least 4 gig or 6 gig of RAM and probably 64 bit based on "no complaints" coming from this forum's members over the last year.

I just read a PC World article that questions 32 bit vs. 64 bit right now. Here is the link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/181165/windows_7_64bit_users_living_in_a_32bit_world.html . It is an article that suggests some "conflicts".

Here is the title of the Nov 2, 2009 article . "Windows 7 64-bit Users Living in a 32-bit World?" by Ian Paul.

zburns
11-22-2009, 02:20 PM
For example a quote from the article says the following: "Since Adobe Flash is present on almost every site you visit on a daily basis, using a 64-bit browser means you'd be dealing with severely crippled if not unusable Internet access."

Wise Monkey, Ricky and others are using 64 bit Vista IE, I assume. Are you seeing this problem?

RickyTick
11-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, I am running a dual boot Vista 64-bit and Win 7 64-bit, but I'm not having any issues at all.

zburns
11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
The author of the article states or implies that Adobe flash is everywhere on everybodies computer, everyday, and that it is only a 32 bit app; he even states big problems with 64 bit browsers.

Unless I am missing something, you are using 64 bit browsers on Vista and Win 7, and you are not seeing problems on video as the author implies?

Randal1800
11-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks to everyone, these are all good points. I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and going with a 64 bit system.

The Wise Monkey
11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
I use Chrome, which is 32-bit, as is Firefox. IE comes as both 32 and 64 bit versions, and I have only ever used 32-bit, and have had no issues with Flash or anything like that.

zburns
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
WM, you use IE32 bit. But I am under the assumption you have been using Vista 64 bit as an OS. If so, my (today's) dumb question: Can you use IE 32 bit on Vista 64 bit OS. If so, is this a choice when you installed Vista 64 bit, was this a choice Microsoft recommended?

The Wise Monkey
11-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Both versions of IE are shipped with any 64-bit OS, either Vista 64, XP 64 or Windows 7 64.

However, I don't use IE at all, because it is rubbish. xD

Randal1800
11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Is the hardware different for a 64 bit system or just the OS you load? I have bought Rob's suggested PC and am about to start the build. I don't think the Hardware is different, but just want to make sure.

RickyTick
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Is the hardware different for a 64 bit system or just the OS you load? I have bought Rob's suggested PC and am about to start the build. I don't think the Hardware is different, but just want to make sure.

The hardware is the same.