PDA

View Full Version : Best antivirus

RickyTick
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
This is one reason why I have switched to Microsoft Security Essentials.
http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1137

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Interesting, but you have to take all of these tests with a pinch of salt - some software is better at certain things than others. There are millions of viruses, and any test can only use a very small sample.

That said, MSE is very good and has a very low memory and CPU footprint, which is always nice. Symantec used to be very bloated, but the latest version is much better.

Of course, the best antivirus is not a piece of software, it is common sense. :)

zburns
11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Ricky, Wise Monkey and others who might be using Microsoft Security Essentials. I read Ricky's review on his link; very helpful and complimentary to Microsoft.

Probably on the same day I read these "Best Antivirus" posts, I downloaded Kapersky 2010 AV (been using their 2009 and happy with it). Immediately after the download, my wait time to open a google page went from a short and acceptable time to 15 to 20 seconds to open the google page. I read reviews on the kapersky 2010 and found little short references to "slowing down" and from multiple reviews. I emailed Kapersky support a complaint and expect their "two day response" back today.

So my question is are either of you running an additional AV in addition to MSE or is MSE your only Anti virus? If you are running an additional AV, is it active anytime your computer is on or do you have to initiate a scan.

I am under the impression it is best for an AV to be active anytime the computer is on and actually "block known malware" from opening within one's system? Is not this a fundamental primary requirement for Anti Virus software?

I read several reviews on MSE that sort of said, "If you want a free AV, this is a good one, etc.", another said or implied, "good for a free AV and good if you want to set it and forget it", but if you want "more robust opitons" you need to look elsewhere. My kapersky 2009 was highly rated and I "set it up and forgot about it" , but it seemed to work fine.

It seems to me that the reviewers may have a "vested interest" in "softly encouraging the purchase of AV software as opposed to free AV software". I assume this is because the reviewers work for a mag that depends on advertisers some of whom are the Anti Virus software companies. I find the reviews confusing, because of this perception.

RickyTick
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM
I've tried several AV programs from MSE, Avast, Norton, AVG, and Symantec. Without question, I like MSE better than the rest. It's just like you said, set it up and forget about it.

zburns
11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks Ricky, Question, is MSE the only AV you use? Do you ever run any other AV simultaneous with it? Have you had any events that would make you think you should do this?

I have been running Spy Doctor in parallel with Kapersky 2009 for over a year -- not sure that it ever was a problem to do this! Also, not sure it ever was a benefit to do it, either!

RickyTick
11-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, MSE is the only thing I run. TBH, since I'm behind a router, I have never used an AV on my personal computer until MSE came along. I've been using av on my wife's pc, son's pc, and my parent's pc. Found Avast to be pretty good, but MSE just seemed much better. I can't think of a good reason to run multiple av programs simultaneously. Have you read somewhere that it was a good idea. I go out of my way to have as few things as possible running in the background.

The Wise Monkey
11-18-2009, 03:22 AM
You shouldn't run more than one anti-virus with real-time scan enabled at the same time, as they can interfere with each other and cause real problems with your PC. Also, they take up a load of system resources.

zburns
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks WM. I was running Kaspersky and Spyware Doctor in parallel however, I do not think they scanned at the same time, but I never specifically checked for that. I did use Task manager routinely to look at the memory usage, and found Kaspersky around 70 meg and Spyware Doc close to 100 meg memory usage. I should have turned one off (if I could have) or uninstalled it and compared performance with only one running.

This morning out of sheer frustration I unstalled both of them and installed MSE. I had to "duck", google came up so fast, afterwards.

The Wise Monkey
11-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Hehe, yeah, I don't think I'll be buying any antivirus software now. :D

treavorbell
11-24-2009, 05:31 PM
where can i download microsoft essintials for free?

RickyTick
11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

zburns
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I have a question about MSE and Windows Defender. When I boot up my computer, sometimes the MSE and Defender icons in the low left info bar do not show up at all, other times when they do show up, the Defender icon has the security shield attached to it (means it is not on).

In my Options settings for both apps, I have them chosen for "ON" all the time. So I guess my question is are they, in fact on, even tho the icons are not there.

When they are not there, and, I immediately Open the files from the desktop, the icons show up right away, with the little green check marks on them.

Anybody know "what going on" ?

RickyTick
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
You don't need to run both. When you install MSE it will automatically disable Defender. If you use XP, then it will automatically uninstall Defender.

RickyTick
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
This might also be helpful.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

zburns
12-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks Ricky, it makes sense. The answer was staring me in the face the whole time; never occured to me to "google" it.

Deneb
12-05-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?WT.srch=1

badbob
02-13-2012, 08:11 AM
This is one reason why I have switched to Microsoft Security Essentials.
http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1137

I tired MSE and I got a virus. Had to use Malwarebytes to get rid of. I went back to Norton but it really slows down my computer. I would like to go back to MSE but afraid I will get another virsus take over of my computer. Any suggestions?

RickyTick
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
None of the antivirus programs are 100% effective. MSE has gotten progressively better since it was originally introduced and is one of the top choices of most computer enthusiasts. I have it installed on all the pc's in my home network, but I also have malwarebytes installed too.

Bryon
02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Practise safe browsing. It is rare for me to run an antivirus on a computer of mine and I never have a problem. Stay away from torrents, only download software from well known company websites.

When I did my internship for computer repair, we always put on MSE. In my honest opinion Norton is a joke and they just scam you out of your money. There has been too many computers that come in loaded with viruses and Norton just sitting there saying everything is A-OK. Don't even get me started on trying to remove it then.

Enough of me ranting. MSE is fine to use, make sure you keep it updated. Then get Malwarebytes and run a scan maybe once a week.

Bryon

zburns
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I too have run MSE and Malwarebytes successfully for a number of years now. Malwarebytes I have always run 'manually', generally everyday after the MSE automatic scan; this version is free. Just recently, it can be purchased for $ 25 (per year, I assume), difference being that it can be programmed to run automatically your choice of time.

Bryon
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO Features include:

Flash - Lightning fast scan speeds
Thorough - Full scans for all drives
Works Well With Others - Cooperative functionality
Puts YOU first! - Priority database updates
Puts Malware in the Slammer - Quarantine function holds threats and lets you restore at your convenience
Talk to the hand - Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module
For Your Pleasure - Customizable settings enhance performance
Lock It Down - Password protect key program settings
Chameleon - Gets Malwarebytes running when blocked
Toolbox - Extra utilities to help remove malware manually
Nitty Gritty - Command line support for quick scanning
RPP, Yeah You Know Me - Realtime Proactive Protection Module
Hablamos Everything! - Multi-lingual support (Klingon still in beta)
Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Bryon