PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card?

Justin1121
11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
One day when I was playing a game my computer just shut off and then I turned it back on and tried to load windows but it just went to the loading windows screen and then went to a black screen and the graphics card fan spins fast. Also the bios screen is all distorted but the windows screens arent so maybe it could be the motherboard.

Anyone have any idea that could help me out to fix the problem?

zburns
11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Tell us what Oper System you are using. Also, can you be more specific about "bios screen is all distorted ...." . What exactly do you mean?

Last week I had terrible computer crashing problems but I attributed it to a unauthorized download that Microsoft said in a pop up menu, "not to do the download -- damage possible". I also had just had a bucket full of MS updates shortly before. But things are ok now!

Justin1121
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I am using Windows 7 and the bios screen I can still see the letters but most of the letters will be cut in half and then moved up or down a few pixels.

zburns
11-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Are the other problems you described in your first post above still occuring?
If they are occuring, is there a pattern to the way they occur and are you able to use the computer consistently for anything?

Is the BIOS letter pixel problem consistent thruout the BIOS as you go thru the BIOS; do all the BIOS pages have the same "broken up letter problem"?

Have you tried removing the video card, use the onboard video to see if that helps? If you do this, I am not sure, but I assume you would have to change a setting in the BIOS--your book will tell you.

zburns
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Here is an adendum to my above post, a later thought. The closeness in time of your build and the use of Win 7, would lead me to assume there could be a small -- but not insignificant-- software glitch between your BIOS software and win 7.

A call to Tech Support for your mobo manufacturer might help; it the problem is BIOS software, Win 7 conflict, they should have already heard of it. However, the mobo mfg and BIOS developer have had plenty of time to wring out the BIOS software; "on the other side of the argument" that is what BIOS updates are for!

The company that supplied the BIOS for the mobo mfg could also have some ideas or could recoginize the problem.

If the problem is only the offset or weird look of the BIOS letters that is one problem that could be hardware only; but if your computer is also doing crazy things at the same time, you would have to assume a connection and that would lead to "software" interface between BIOS and OS.

My advice, whatever you do, is proceed slowly, talk to those people who know your mobo and BIOS; do not just start changing components for no real reason. If you do swap out a component and "nothing changes", put the old component back in. When the problem finally clears and goes away, you unequivocally want to know "what you last did before the problem disappeared".

If I am off base in any of my comments, someone say so, please; my comments reflect my approach as if I were having the problem.

Justin1121
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I have tried removing my video card and my mother board doesn't have on board graphics. I was going to try putting a different graphics card on my computer to see if that fixes it.

I can't do anything with my computer I have both windows 7 and windows xp on my computer and neither will load. I also tried installing Ubuntu but that would freeze up after the first few steps.

Also the bios is messed up throughout the whole bios.

Thanks for the help I guess I will have to try calling tech support though.

zburns
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I realize you are frustrated and disappointed but try to make some sense out the following:

I am going to try again. BIOS only conversation. Here is your second post about this problem: "I am using Windows 7 and the bios screen I can still see the letters but most of the letters will be cut in half and then moved up or down a few pixels."

I interpreted this post to mean that your "lettering" only was messed up on a specific BIOS page with sub menus -- and that you could still move from one BIOS page to the next, etc. -- and that the lettering on each of these pages was messed up or cut in half.

It seemed to me that even tho the lettering was messed up, you could still move from page to page in the BIOS; also, you could move up and down on a BIOS page from topic to topic. You just could not read it because the letters were cut in half and off by a few pixels.

Assuming what I just said above is correct or very close, your BIOS would still be showing up in an "organized" manner -- there would be "order" to the BIOS -- even tho the letters were chopped up, they were still in place, and the BIOS was "still organized".

If the last para was true, the cut in half letters, simplisticly (sp) is a monitor scan problem (a video problem) -- but the BIOS is "still organized" because you can see structure on a page and page to page.

Now if the BIOS is a jumble of "alphabet soup" and you cannot see any organization to any of the vertical menus and also page to page, just "alphabet soup" then that is software. BUT IF THE BIOS IS ALPHABET SOUP, HOW DO YOU MOVE PAGE TO PAGE?

So which is it? Alphabet soup thruout the whole BIOS or is there some observable "organization" or structure to the BIOS pages even tho you cannot read them? if you can see paragraphs or statements in outline form that you cannot read -- there is "organization" or "structure" to what you are looking at.

1. Alphabet Soup -- BIOS is messed up!!

2. Organization or Structure to the BIOS pages but cannot read it --probably not the BIOS software.

It is # 1 or # 2. The nature of the problem is very different depending on whether it is # 1 or # 2.

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS (experienced or novice).
In many cases, troubleshooting can simply be spotting a "global" problem; more than likely, it is one detail at time until you get a "knowable" or firm clue.

It you do three entirely different things, one after the other, without throughly knowing cause and effect of each "single thing you did", you now have "nine" different possibilities or new problems to deal with.

Justin1121
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes there is still structure to the bios and I can still move from page to page.

zburns
11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
As a double check on what you just posted, can you match up a page in your BIOS to the identical page in your instruction manual? Should be the case on all BIOS pages. The letters on every page are screwed up in appearance, correct?

I assume you tried an install of Ubantu after the problems you first described in the first post occured. Is this correct? If yes, do you know how to "Uninstall Ubantu" and get it completely off your hard drive? Before you do this uninstall, you have to be certain of your process to uninstall. You will want it completely off the hard drive. Whatever the uninstall process is, write it down -- do not try to remember it or guess at anything.

Do not do the uninstall yet, just find out if you have actual instructions to uninstall it?

I assume win 7 and xP have been on the computer for a while and worked ok? Am I correct?

I want to look at your mobo manual before I say anymore. I will be out for 1 1/2 hours approx. About 4:15 EDT here right now!

One other thing is to look on Gigabyte for the latest BIOS update for your GB mobo, then check your mobo box or records to see the date or version of the existing BIOS software you have. Just see if an update is available; do not do anything with it. Your mobo could have been on the shelf for a while and have version 1 installed, when in fact their may have been one or two later versions between GB shipping your mobo and today.

I am asking you to do things I would do; above all, I would spend the time necessary to be very sure of what I am doing; I do not like mistakes, particularly when I do not know I just made one.

The Wise Monkey
11-05-2009, 03:14 AM
Just a quick thought - what graphics card and power supply are you using?

zburns
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi WM, here is the link to what probably is his build but he should confirm.
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2762

Corsair 750 watt CMPSU-750TX and Evga GTX 260 Core 216 896mb. Recommended 500wattPSU.

If the build is what is above, mobo is GB GA P55-UD3R. CPU is i5 750.

---------------------------
The system is very high quality but it is all fresh new stuff just out!
I looked for BIOS updates on the mobo and there is one dated Oct 30, 09.

Here is what bios update reason is: F3m 2009/10/30 Enhance memory capability. Improve KMPlayer and GOM Player compatibility.

Here is link to mobo/bios page: http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3162

----------------------------------

I was going to recommend "clearing BIOS" but the update would do the same, but he cannot download it, he has to "flash" it and that could be difficult without very precise step by step instructions for a new builder. But the computer seems inoperable beyond the BIOS -- OS will not load. So can he even flash the bios? Can he install new BIOS chip? Is anything I say in this para necessary.

His bios letters seem "chopped" up but still there; the bios pages seem to be still there. So maybe his bios is ok, and the video card is the cause of "chopped up" letters because it is the "output" to the monitor; ie. the bios video output to the video card is ok, it is a later stage in the video chain that is causing the letters to chop up, not the bios. (I assume in any bios, the video portion would have little to do with the monitors vertical scan. That is mostly in the onboard video chip or video card.)

Screwing up the bios chip makes matters worse, obviously. Trying a new and simpler video card may make the most sense.

(My entire argument above is theoretical, hypothetical from my end. I have no experience flashing the bios; my first build has worked fine, essentially. I do not want to lead Justin down a wrong path).

None of my argument above addresses the computer crashing which could be virus, corrupt bios, screwed up OS uploads, Hard Drive.

Next Important Step: Justin Has to Confirm His System. Same as above or not?

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Well first I would like to thank for you all your help.

The bios is exactly as you described it.

With Ubuntu I never actually got that installed just I was just in the step up when it froze. And I think I found out that the reason for that was because I confusing the installer because I already had two partitions. So I don't think I need to worry about that being part of the problem anymore.

Both xp and 7 have been on my computer for a while and always worked fine.

That is my system.

I don't know if this would make a difference but I am sure that Oct 30 the day the update was released is the day that my computer messed up. Would Windows Update, update my mobo bios automatically?

zburns
11-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Just to be sure, your system is exactly as you described in this thread several months ago, correct?
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2762

Theoretically Windows update could do what you say, but neither the mobo or the bios design and software is a Microsoft product. I think I am right when I say this next: If a mfg has software or a hardware product with software pre-installed such as a mobo with a particular BIOS chip and dedicated software, then that mfg submits "someway" that software to a Microsoft "test" of somekind, in order to get a Microsoft "Digital" signature, which means Microsoft compatible for a particular OS, or string of OS's.

Because the mobo and BIOS design and software is not a Microsoft product, I do not think Win update would update your computer with a BIOS update!

Please confirm your build is the one on the above "link"? Then I will do another post.

zburns
11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
STATIC DISCHARGE POST:
Here is another concern not mentioned yet. Since you have had this problem, you have had your hands inside the computer. The issue of static electricity comes up. The weather is changing hot to cold which increases static in dry but cold air.

1. At a minimum when you go into your case, it should be unplugged from the surge protector, the UPS, or the wall; ie. no electrical power into the case, even to the on/off switch at the back of the case. The easiest way is to pull the power cable out of the back of the case.

2. Always wear a "static protection wrist strap". Whatever hand that wrist strap is on, should be the hand you stick into the case (after power cable removed). Wrist strap has a ground wire on it; make sure it goes to a valid ground.

If you do not know how to get to or find a valid ground, tell me and I'll write it out. NONE OF THIS PARAGRAPH IS STUFF THAT ONE CAN GUESS AT AND HOPE FOR THE BEST!! If there is anything you do not understand about the "static protect wrist strap" and the words valid ground, please ask for further explanation. It is your computer protection and your safety at risk!

If you have carpet in the room with the computer and you wear rubber sole tennis shoes you can build up static on your body pretty easily, but the wrist strap will get rid of it.

Using the wrist strap: Para 1 & 2 above apply. Put on the wrist strap, connect the wrist strap ground wire to a valid ground. The computer case is unplugged. Touch the case with the hand the wrist strap is attached to (other hand works also but it will take longer for static charge on the case to dissipate).

It is always best to use the hand that the wrist strap is attached to because any static charge on the case will bleed off thru that hand and wrist. If you use the other hand, static charge bleeds off thru hand, your body, and then the arm the wrist strap is attached to.
END OF STATIC POST.

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
It is the same one that is in that thread.

zburns
11-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Justin I just spent about 40 minutes writing a long post and it got lost when I tried to post it because I had to log in again. So I am going to take a break, check your mobo manual about "clearing the BIOS" and "flashing" BIOS.

Then I will rewrite the lost post; try to simplify it.

Also, I see that I do have your correct build from your last post at 4:08pm.

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh sorry that happened and I will.

The Wise Monkey
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Can you boot into a Windows DVD?

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, I have it booted into a windows xp right now though i am not sure if I should try and install it over my other one I have on it.

zburns
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
You may want to clear the BIOS. Here is the reasoning. Your letters are split. Your Bios pages look like an outline, short phrases of three or four words, maybe a longer sentence.

Your BIOS software has video instructions or code in the memory chip, has to. This code tells the video card when a short phrase ends and the next begins, etc.. It is related to the vertical scan of your monitor which would be primarily controled by the systems "video electronics" which in the absence of mobo video control would be the video card.

So the BIOS software has some minimal input or effect on vertical scanning of the monitor.

If you "clear" the BIOS according to instruction manual, the split letters are going to go away or not. Either way, the only thing you loose is the "changes you made to the BIOS". You would have to input them once more.

After "clearing" the BIOS, if nothing changes, then try a simple cheap video card to see if that had an effect.

Or you can go ahead and flash the BIOS with the new update which I read is simple to do, but you have to be "perfect" or you cause real problems.

So, seems to me that "clearing the BIOS" is a relatively quick easy thing to do that "might" clear the split letters. Might clear the crashes, do not know!

Flashing the bios would require that you follow your instruction manual to the letter on the procedure to do so; however, if the computer will not boot up, I am not sure you can flash the bios but we can find that out.

If your mobo bios chip is a plug in chip, you can change it out to a new chip for around $ 15, so I read.

Right now all I am talking about is "clearing the BIOS".

Side comment: When you google BIOS, it is easy to find references to the effect that "a corrupt BIOS is a cause of crashes".

The Wise Monkey
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I think zburns has the right idea about clearing/updating the BIOS, so give that a try first, but you could always see if you can run a repair on XP after booting from the CD - this repairs the core OS files without deleting any files or applications.

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Okay I am going to try clearing the bios and I could not find anything in my manual about flashing the bios. I will take another look.

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Well clearing my bios didnt do anything.

zburns
11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
After you used the jumper to clear the BIOS, what did you do next?

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Well I actually just took the battery out for a little while. But after I did that I just turned the computer back on and everything was the same.

zburns
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
According to your build list, your mobo is Gbyte GA P55 UD3R. The mobo manual available from the web site gives specific instructions for clearing the CMOS. The pertinent page on this version of the manual is page 30 and here is what it says to do:

-------------------------------------- beginning of instruction.
CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper) --Title of the page.

Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.
Open: Normal
Short: Clear CMOS Values
• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing the CMOS values.
• After clearing the CMOS values and before turning on your computer, be sure to remove the jumper cap from the jumper. Failure to do so may cause damage to the motherboard.
• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to
load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or
manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS
Setup," for BIOS configurations).
------------------------------------------------ end of instruction.

The above instructions should be in your manual that came with the mobo. I do not know how you removed the battery, put it back in and had the same thing.

I suggest you find the above instructions in your manual, and, redo the process according to the instructions. See if that helps.

The manual has a separate section on BIOS Updates, Sect 4-2. I have skimmed it quickly. I will read thru it several times and make some comments in the morning.

Everything I have read about BIOS updates warns you to be very careful; if not bad things can happen to your computer or the mobo.

Justin1121
11-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Hmm I missed those intructions in the intruction manual. I just read something that removing the battery would do the same thing. Tomorrow I will look through the manual some more and try those intructions and see if they work.

zburns
11-06-2009, 06:59 PM
In all these pages I never asked what kind of anti virus program, malware and firewall software are you using? A virus or malware could be causing the split letters and / or the crashing.

Sect 4-2 BIOS Update Utilities from Gigabyte manual for GA P55 UD3R mobo has three topics:

1. Dual Bios, simply put means two separate Bios chips, one of them a backup which is not accessible manually (whatever that means). The backup automatically replaces the main bios on the next boot after a "corrupt" event is detected. This means that "clearing the Bios" is replaced by the backup Bios since "clearing and refreshing" the bios is esentially what the backup does.

2. Q-Flash. As long as you can enter the BIOS on your mobo and manipulate options on the menus and submenus, you can use Q-Flash to do an update. The instructions are written assuming a floppy drive installed which I doubt you have. Use a USB flash drive (a removable drive) instead but probably it has to be first in boot order in the Bios boot menu.

The instructions on using Q-Flash seem straight forward, less than two pages long.

3. @BIOS. Here is what the manual says: "@BIOS allows you to update the system BIOS while in the Windows environment. @BIOS will download the latest BIOS file from the nearest @BIOS server site and update the BIOS."

There is one page of instructions for @BIOS.

My comment: Not sure you can use @BIOS because your computer is not operable. You had asked about Windows downloading this update automatically. Presumably, if anyone downloaded it and made a mistake, it would cause a problem of some kind, for example "crashing".

Summary: I am not sure I would update the BIOS with the Oct 30 update just yet. Wise Monkey suggested a "repair" of Windows XP; that sounds like a good idea and should be done. The breaking up of your letters in BIOS sounds like a Video problem; so trying another video card makes sense (process of elimination).

The Oct 30 update explanation refers to "memory enhancement" --whatever it means. If it means your RAM is dropping data, that might mean crashing. So it would be helpful for you to know more about the update.

More about the BIOS update. Most anything you read about bios updates says something like "do not do it unless you have to--too risky".

Conclusion: The letters being split in half are the obvious thing to clear up; when it is cleared up, you can actually "see it". If you have access to a compatible and simple video card that you know worked, that would be real easy to install. I do not think the letters being split are a Windows software problem.

The crashing is another story. If something was downloaded just before the crashing, an hour before, even a day before, I would tend to look in that direction. Repairing XP is a good idea.

If you do the BIOS update, really read the manual instructions repeatedly until you are certain you understand them; talk to Gigabyte techsupport and ask them specifically what the update does for your mobo.

Justin1121
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Well I must thank you for all of your help. I will try everything you say and hopefully it fixes it. But once again thank you seem to have spent a lot of time on it.

Justin1121
11-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Well I got some good news and some bad news. I just turned on my computer and it decided to work. But I don't know what I did to fix it and I am afraid it will happen again though I will keep my fingers crossed.

zburns
11-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Well that is good news! Did you do anything to it at all? If so, write it down and let us know. Maybe something you did will provide a clue.

Justin1121
11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I didn't do anything at all other than I cleared the bios thursday night and then I turned it on then, but nothing was different but then saturday I turned it on it worked but between that I didn't have time to do anything with it. And I don't think anyone else would have touched it.