PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with a new build

IXLR8
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey all, just found this place. I'm a junior Mechanical Engineering student at University of Vermont. Must admit, I'm a bit of a computer building n00b. My regular computer is a Mac, and unfortunately I can't run Solidworks on it which I use frequently.

So, I found an old computer that my dad used to use for work. It is a Dell, with XP professional. 2 gigs of ram, Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz processor. Not sure of the graphics card or motherboard, but the whole system is pretty old. I'd like to upgrade it to be a reliable machine up to the task of running Solidworks reasonably well.

What should I look at upgrading? I am thinking graphics card, and motherboard at least. Should I upgrade the processor, or is it adequate?

Any input would be appreciated. I would say I want to keep the total under $300.

Thanks!
-Connor

RickyTick
10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi Connor and welcome to MySuperPC.

Unfortunately upgrading a Dell is not all that easy. Dell tends to use proprietary components in their pc's so compatibility becomes an issue. With that said, it doesn't mean nothing can be done. Upgrading a video card will be easy and straightforward, so maybe there's hope. What is the specific model of the pc, such as Dimension 8400 or something like that.

IXLR8
10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Its an Optiplex 160L. My room mate knows a thing or two about computers, and he said this was an odd dell. Something like the case is different, and allows for upgrading it where other Dell's don't. Like I said, it used to be a work computer at my dad's office, so who knows what was changed on it.

Here's a pic of the inside, might help.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s270/connorburke/Stuff/CIMG1702.jpg

chunkylover53
10-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be tough. Program like that really needs a Quadro card. Even bare bones nvidia fx580 will run you $150 or so. Then the problem you have is there are no pci-e slots, just pci. Not sure I know of any quadro cards with pci interface.
As much as that Dell offers you upgrade options, replacing the mobo is not like adding ram or replacing a hard drive. Not many options for an older motherboard that will still be compatible with that ram and CPU, while still being new enough to have pci-e.
Then there's the problem of xp pro support for solidworks. Hard to know how long that will be around. To be honest, if you are really trying to stay under $300, might be better to try and get a newer used Dell on craigslist that has 2gb ram and one pci-e slot. Pair that with the fx 580 and you might be able to make it workable.
JMHO.