PDA

View Full Version : light won.t go off

bobscamper
10-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Hello to all and thank you from a first time builder.The information on this site was invaluable and got me though the build pretty well.The build list i used as posted.here's the list.
CASE-ANTEC SONARA III
MOTHERBOARD-GA-EP45-UD3P
PROCESSOR-E-8400
VIDEO CARD-EVGA 512-P3-1150-TR GEFORCE GTS250
HARDDRIVE-W.D.CAVIAR640 GB SATA
LITE-ON DVD WRITER
VISTA PREMIUM 64 BIT
Now here's the itch i can't quite scratch.I installed a belkin KVM switch between my old machine and my new build.It's USBwith no other source of power.with both machines off the led lits stay lit
.Any help would be greatly apprecated.thankyou bobscamper

Barrister73
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Are you saying that this switch is connected to the USB port in one or both computers? If so, the light may simply stay on. My computer's USB ports still give power when they are off, so I do not need to turn the computer on in order to just charge things via USB.

MRR

bobscamper
10-08-2009, 05:27 AM
thankyou thats exactly what i wanted to know.i wasn't sure the power was suppose to be on all the time. though maybe i wired something wrong. thanks again bobscamper:)

zburns
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I assume you have a monitor plugged into a separate plug than the computer cases are plugged into. Try turning off the monitor and see if the LED goes out.

Where is the lit led? On the computer cases or the KVM switch common box?

I cannot imagine the power on - off computer case switch not causing the power supply to completely shut down power; if this is not the case, I have never read about it anywhere. Power on/off switches and circuits on the computer case must meet a universal standard agreed upon by multiple "entities" such as IEEE, UL, and all local code entities. It is just hard to imagine this led being "lit" having its source of power inside the case.

I assume the led stays on indefinitely; that being the case, and the computer power switch being switched off, I just do not see the case PSU being a source of power. Another complication, is the two computer cases, each being plugged into a separate outlet and each outlet being fed from separate power lines (this would be one reason it would not be allowed by the so called agencies that write "standards".

For the led to stay on for minutes, even hours it obviously has to have power; if you do not have a USB hub that is powered by a separate cord, the led is getting power from somewhere, perhaps the monitor plugged into a separate outlet.

bobscamper
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
the KVMswitch lets you run 2 conputers (1 at a time)with one monitor.theres a light on the connection hub&what they callthe flip switch.they stay lit all the time sence i connected my first build.there's no power connection other then the USB ports.previously with 2 older dell's they did not stay lit when the machines were off. any input will be greatly appreiated. bobscamper

The Wise Monkey
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
What happens if you unplug the PCs? As in physically remove the power cables from the back.

zburns
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Your USB hub does have a monitor connection, does it not? If it does, unplug the monitor to see if the light goes out.

If it goes out when you unplug one computer at a time or both computers, then it is possible you have a "miswiring" error on the small wires from the Antec front panel to the mobo; that would be an easy mistake to make. ie. two wires swapped as to final location on the mobo.

bobscamper
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
unpluggged everything in order. the only time the lite went out was when the power coard on the new build was removed. bobscamper

zburns
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Your comment -- "unpluggged everything in order. the only time the lite went out was when the power coard on the new build was removed. bobscamper"

As you unplugged a component, you left it unplugged, then unplugged the next component and left it unplugged. Until you unplugged your new build, the led stayed on. Is what I said correct?

Assuming my statement agrees with what you did, you may still have a problem. Right now I would suggest you carefully check the Antec wires from the on / off switch to where they went on the mobo and be sure they are not reversed. I would check all the wiring from the Antec front panel to be certain the wires go to the correct points on the mobo.

Only make a change if you are absolutely certain of what you are doing, meaning you are reasonably sure you found a wiring error. Do not swap wires just to see if it fixes something! Sorry to sound like a lecturer!

zburns
10-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Another suggestion came to mind after the last post. If you check and are sure your wiring is ok, then you could call Antec, tell them what you have done and what the problem is, they will more than likely be willing to send you a replacement front module -- plastic chrome plate with attached plug and led components already wired. You do the replacement and then see if the problem has disappeared.

I am pretty sure I have a module they sent me regards a ground problem; never used it. If I can find it I will look carefully at it to see if there is anything applicable to your problem.

The Wise Monkey
10-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Hold on, haven't we already solved this problem? XD

Barrister73 was right - some modern motherboards keep some power to USB drives at all times. For example, there is always some power going to the network cable so that wake-on-lan can be used if need be.

Unplugging everything showed that when the new build, with the new motherboard, was unplugged then the light went out. Thus it is getting power from the USB port of the new build, even when it is turned off.

If it is really a problem, flick the switch at the back of the PC as this stops all power.

bobscamper
10-09-2009, 12:40 PM
HELLO
Igot through to antec support and they assured me power to the USB ports is normal even though the power is off.I feel a little foolish but at least now i know.I would like to thank everyone again for there help with the question and the build-had the time of my life. bobscamper
ps love the machine