JDJ
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
I recently built a computer with the following:

Intel E8400
Gigabyte ga ep45 ud3p
HIS radeon 4850
4g ram
antec sonata case and powersupply

The computer functions fine until a graphics intensive application is run such as a game, 3Dmark05, sisandra video benchmarks then the computer will shut down. I tested the processor and ram with benchmarks(p95, memtest86) and they appear to be fine. I sent back the 1st video card thinking that was the issue, but I am having the same problem with a new one. I've tried several ATI driver versions but keep having the same problem. Is the problem the mobo? Any other ideas on how to fix. Thanks Don

The Wise Monkey
10-07-2009, 02:49 AM
What PSU do you have?

Does the same thing happen in games or when playing HD video? I'm thinking that your PSU cannot supply the power requirements of your graphics card when it comes under full load.

JDJ
10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I have the Antec Earthworks 500watt PSU, same one that Rob recommends in his build. When the computer shuts down, the case fan and CPU fan continue spinning but I cannot get the computer to do anything. The screen is blank.

Also, sometimes when I hit the start button, the computer will start warming up then shutdown for a second then come back on. This happens before POST. Thanks for your help.

The Wise Monkey
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Try booting up the bare minimum i.e. one stick of RAM, one HD (if you have multiple), graphics card, no CD drive, and see if this makes a difference.

It might also be worth getting one of these - very useful for any appliance:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

JDJ
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
It boots fine. I can run most programs - powerdvd(not HD), winamp, browser etc. I am able to run the DXDIAG benchmark. However it will not run 3dmark05, Sisandra video benchmarks and it will not run Company of Heroes. It could be the power supply like you mentioned. Maybe I should get the killawatt thing. Thanks for responding.

zburns
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Curious as to what your CPU temp is when you are using just your browser. Also, how are your fans set speed wise incl CPU fan. If your CPU temp is running high w/o running any games that would indicate a problem may or could occur when a high intensity game causes the CPU to run at a higher percent of usage. In your case perhaps greater than 100% and overheating.

Also, can you be more specific about " Also, sometimes when I hit the start button, the computer will start warming up then shutdown for a second then come back on." Are you saying the computer actually shuts down and you have to hit the large diameter chrome "start" button to restart. When you say the computer starts to warm up, do you get the single beep, then see one or two BIOS screens flash and go off, then a dark monitor for a period, then a monitor indication that windows is loading, etc.. When does it actually "shut" down and specifically "how do you know it has shut down".

Regards the last para, can you just describe what you see and hear in the sequence it occurs.

JDJ
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Wise Monkey - thanks for the tip. I upgraded my PSU from the Antec 500W to a Corsair 650W and now I can run the benchmarks I could not previously run. It appears to have solved my video problem.

zBurns - when I started the computer the mobo lit up and the fans came on and then it shut off temporarily but then came back on and worked normally. It never got to post nor did the mobo beep. I only pressed the start button one time. This happened using both PSUs. I upgraded the PSU last night and it did the shut off thing just the 1st time I started it. It did not do it the next 2 times I started the computer. Thanks for helping out.

For your CPU question, the temps on the CPU were normal and I'm able to run Prime95.

Thanks again. Don

zburns
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Here is a link that supports WMs contention about the PSU being weak, see page 4: http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-4850-iceq4-turbox-review/1.

Sounds like that problem is solved.

The computer shutting off may be a separate problem. If it continues to happen, I suggest you observe the following: Look for the pattern that is consistent the way the problem occurs. For example, does it only occur after the computer has been off for a period of time. Or, if you turn off the computer, realize you did not mean to and you immediately restart, and it always works ok this way, then the difference in the way the prob occurs becomes important.

At one time I had a circuit diagram for the Antec Sonata III 500 watt PSU; I would like to see a circuit diagram, case to PSU and the PSU. I will try to find one.

You have the same problem with two separate PSUs, so there is something about the signal getting from the "on" switch to the PSU. If it is a loose wire the problem is going to occur in a random manner; if it is an electronic component such as a capacitor or IC chip, the problem may only happen in a consistent pattern which you can observe. Because it happened to both PSUs, the problem is not with the PSU.

Bottom line, if it continues, it matters "how it happens". Randomly or a consistent pattern. Also, seeing the circuit from the "On" switch to the PSU matters. Hope I am helping.

The Wise Monkey
10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, glad you have solved at least one problem. :)

JDJ
10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Yes, I'm very relieved to get the video problem handled. According to someone in another forum, the shutoff problem is a result of the BIOs resetting after a change. Which makes sense, the 2 times it happened was when I put in a new PSU and when I made a change to BIOs. So hopefully I'm ok. Thanks again for your help. Don

zburns
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Automatic BIOS restart did not occur to me. Your second post, I read to be that the shutoff was occuring randomly; however, when you consider "auto restart", and think about the video overloading the PSU causing shutdown, this would be an abnormal shutdown. This probably would result in a BIOS problem, maybe auto restart or the BIOS starting and then stopping.

If this is the case, then when the problem of the comp shutting off just when turned on, would have been preceeded by an event such as "abnormal shutdown". This makes sense and connects the two "problems".

Changing some components such as mobo, ram, HD would be seen by the BIOS. Changing one Form Factor ATX power supply for another, I do not think would be "a component change the BIOS would see" -- electrically the outputs and the plug configurations are the same.

A PSU mfg does not build in some specific electrical "signature". Also when you removed the PSU and replaced it with a new one, the power was off; therefore, no elec signals while replacement going on. No way for the BIOS to know that a component had been changed. Logically, one ATX PSU should look the same "at the plugs" as any other ATX PSU. ATX PSU "pinouts" and voltages from one PSU model or mfg to another should be identical.

If the ATX spec allows for "additional pinouts" over and above "a specified minimum set of pinouts", then the BIOS could see a difference if it was designed to do so. Hard to say w/o lots of research.

My point is that what I said above seems to tie the two problems of "overload shutdown" and then "restart" together. Whenever, you have "technical problems" such as two problems in this case, it is rare for them to not be connected! However, the fact that it is a new build would allow for you to have different and isolated problems. Final point, the BIOS is definitely going to see the "abnormal" shutdown and respond to it via its "software" and electrical design so you bet on the two problems being connected.

JDJ
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
zburns, Thanks for the info. I think you are right, there's probably no way for the bios/mobo to know that a new PSU is installed so that would not cause bios to reset. Unfortunately, I cannot remember whether I had an "abnormal shutdown" prior to installing the new PSU. I'll need to keep testing as my opportunity to RMA is running out.

zburns
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, we all know more now, that's for sure. It is not really important whether or not you know for sure that the BIOS shutdowns occured right after the video related shutdown.

The BIOS restart senario fits together real well; you will know that was it, if you run trouble free. If the same computer shut down and restart occurs, but your video runs all out with no prob, then you will know you had a second problem all along; but if that does occur, you need to let it happen enough times that you know you are seeing a definite misbehavior pattern.

I have had stuff happen to my build over the last 1 1/2 years but most of it just went away, probably due to Windows updates and maybe the addition of antivirus program (s).

Good Luck!!!