PDA

View Full Version : domain to workgroup mistake..need some info

target7
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
domain to workgroup mistake..need some info
here is the situation:

I made a rookie mistake and accident changed my work comp from a domain computer to a workgroup comp. I was not able to log in locally since i did not have a username or password. I used boot disk tool to reset the local admin password.

Here is my question: Since i am not the admin of the domain (work it dept is), what will they need to do in order to fix my issue. How is the computer fixed? Do they need physical access to the comp or could they remote in based on the ip address the dhcp server assigns when i log in to the local via admin account? Is my account profile still sitting some where and can be retireved when the domain is switch back?

Please educate me as i am not the best with network administration (obviously)

WickedVex
06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
If you're able to log in locally then they will have to most likely have to rejoin the domain using a specific network username and password (Network Admin stuff).

Usually if the computer has been detected on the domain once already they can trace the MAC address back to your machine. As far as remoting into it to join the domain i don't think it will work since it's not part of the network per say. Ask your IT guys to help you rejoin the machine.

The Wise Monkey
06-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Yeah, only a user with the correct privileges i.e. one of the IT guys can rejoin you to the Domain. You don't need to worry about MAC addresses and things like that - most computer directories work on computer name anyway.