CPU: amd athlon 64 x2 6400+ am2
RAM: 4GB (2 GB *2) DDR2 PC2-5300
Graphics card: eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB DDR3
Sound card: none
Hard Drive(s): WD caviar se16 320 GB 7200rpm Sata 300MB/s
Optical Drive(s): Sony DRU840A Dual Formal Double Layer DVD RW/CDRW
Monitor: Aquos 42” tv
Speakers:Aquos
Operating System: windows xp home edition (not installed yet)

It was running fine for about a year and really I couldn't be happier with my experience following the guide for making my own pc. I could not have done it with out mysuperpc.com, hell I wouldn't have even thought of it. I wish there was a mysupercar.com. Anyway, my new problem:

I get this message even when I start with the xp disc in the super drive:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I put in the disc and it comes around to the message above again and again. I am not worried with erasing my hardrive. I mostly use this computer for games, movies and internet. And anything else of value is backed up elsewhere.

How can I reinstall windows XP?

Once I get it running again How can I tighten up security on it so it doesn't get hacked,spammed, fished, or spied on? And can I keep it from all that for free?

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

zburns
09-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Is this xp disc the same one you used to do the original OS installation? Also, did you purchase it OEM or Retail? If it was OEM, you may have to call Microsoft about reusing it right now. I am not sure about this; I only remember some forum discussions some time ago about multiple use of Microsoft OS OEM discs and related problems; probably part of the Vista discussions about 18 months ago.

I am sure someone on this forum would specifically remember Microsoft's policy on the OEM discs and reusing it sometime after the original install. I would eliminate this as a possibility first if it is a potential problem.

I briefly looked at a Microsoft webpage on this topic. Here is the google page link for multiple articles but specifically to the article I read: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=microsoft+reuse+XP+OS+discs&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=k

Here is the link to the article I quickly looked which discusses the unique Microsoft Security ID which is generated the first time you install the OS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314828

This might get you started. Hope so!!

The Wise Monkey
09-27-2009, 05:23 AM
This sounds like a corrupt registry hive - follow this article to fix the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

As for not being able to boot from the CD, make sure that your BIOS is set to definitely boot from the CD first. If this still doesn't work, then make sure that the CD is free from dirt/scratches.

snark
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can't seem to access the BIOS. I've hit delete, the back space key, escape, and 'r' and after a couple of screens flash on for a second it dumps me back to the same error message I typed in above.

Should I reset the BIOS on the motherboard?

The xp is not OEM, I bought it retail.

The Wise Monkey
09-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Try F2 - this is a common BIOS entry key. F12 is usually the one used to select the boot menu as well.

snark
09-29-2009, 08:00 PM
I tried F2, F12, Delete, backspace, and r after, before, during, all throughout the startup procedure. All of them just come back to :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

There is a beep and 2 screens flash for a second then the above again. Any idea what I can do next?

Love and appreciate the suggestions.

zburns
09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Take a look at this Smart Computing article. About half to two/thirds the way into the article, they list 6 or 7 symptoms for bad battery as well as hard drive crashing. The link I originally posted appears to be blocked. Go to Google, Type in Batteries, Smart Computing, Feb2000, Vol 4, Issue 1. That will give you a Google page with the Smart Computing article link at the top of the page. The article is old which I did not see until after I had posted; however, the list of symptoms in the article may fit yours. At this point I would try anything that smelled like "help". If you do have to reset your BIOS, Rob's instructions on your mobo do include a full set of the BIOS settings. I also have the same mobo and my BIOS settings are the same as Robs.

I suggest you find the article, it is not long. If you do not find it, they say it is the battery or your hard drive crashing. Symptoms include the following:

1. The clock losing time
2. A noted loss of memory, disk, or system information
3. Error messages about CMOS RAM, memory size, or disk drive configuration
4. A long beep at startup, followed by an error message or messages
5. An error message indicating the machine has lost its Setup or CMOS setting
6. The system won't boot up

Hope this helps!

chunkylover53
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll throw out a totally random thought on not being able to get into the BIOS.

I assume your not using a wireless usb keyboard. I have one, and it will not let me enter the bios. If I want to get into that PC's BIOS, I have to plug in a wired keyboard and mouse.

zburns
09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Chunky, I do have the same mobo as snark and wireless keyboard and mouse; I get into my BIOS with no problem from the beginning. However, my keyboard and mouse are Microsoft not Logitech which I think was Rob's recc..

chunkylover53
09-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I think that came out wrong. It looks like he's using this pc with a 42" tv, which led me to think it's set up in a place where he would want a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126180 on my regular PC, and I get in and out fine.

I have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166047 in my family room, and it does not respond until Windows has booted.

It was a stretch, but I couldn't think of any other reason he couldn't get into his BIOS.

zburns
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Chunky has a point about the keyboard/mouse. If you have wireless, have the batteries in it ever been changed since you built the system? Also, just to rule out a problem with the keyboard/mouse, try a wired version if you have access to one.

Your description of a beep, two screens, etc. sounds like normal startup; in the article ref above, they say "long" beep. So if that beep sounds "normal" to you and you are seeing briefly two screens, and you absolutely know keyboard/mouse are ok, that still should leave a problem with the BIOS (unless hitting "delete" to get into BIOS is dependant on harddrive and the OS -- which I doubt but I do not know for certain).

So if you cannot get into BIOS, I would assume battery first, then "corrupt" BIOS next. You would then have to "flash" the BIOS with the latest version (probably a year ago) which is described in your ASUS book; all I can tell you is that the few times it has come up in the forum, being very careful is absolutely necessary.

Even tho, my wireless keyboard/mouse has always worked with my system (same mobo as yours) does not mean it would work in the event of a weak battery or corrupt BIOS -- so Chunky's idea of using a wired keyboard/mouse is prudent. EDIT I would definitely suggest you use a wired keyboard/mouse at this point if you have it available or can borrow one for a short period.

Not being able to access the BIOS via the keyboard is a key statement in the analysis as I see it.

If I am using wrong logic in this post, would another forum member, please correct me!!

snark
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
well Chunky was right about the keyboard but it didn't make much difference at first. Then I used the reset button on the computer rather than the key board and used alt f2 and finally got in. Downloaded an updated bios on a flash drive. Used uploaded it and then needed to set defaults. And then there was a mystery password that I needed to enter. I don't remember setting one but tried every combo I could think of and it didn't work. So I reset the CMOS.

At this point I was on the phone with ASUS and they had me reset the cmos and remove some memory and eventually told me to send it in because the BIOS chip was corrupt.

I kept on coming back to the original error message.

So I will be breaking it down and sending it in. Thank god for the 3 yr warranty!

The Wise Monkey
10-01-2009, 03:06 AM
True - why did you try to update the BIOS though?