PDA

View Full Version : motherboard overheating

aliasjanedoe
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I actually built my computer about a year ago and have had no problems, but lately my fans have been getting very loud while I'm doing nothing but reading my e-mail. I ran pc probe, and it said my mb temp was 55C, so I shutdown for about two hours to let it cool. When I turned it on again, I instantly got a warning when I launched pc probe again. My temp was at 46C, and in the last twenty minutes has climbed to 53C. All I'm doing is surfing the web to try to figure out my problem.

What can cause this? Or am I stressing for no reason? We've not been running the house AC as much lately, so maybe my computer just seems like it's running the fans faster due to lack of other background noise. Although I do have that warning, but I've not been checking my temp for the past year since I've not been overclocking, so maybe it's been this way all along.

My motherboard is a "ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard".

RickyTick
09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Those temps are not very high. You may want to open her up and clean out any dust that may have accumulated. Dust can cause real heat problems.

aliasjanedoe
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Well, it is awfully dirty at my place, construction going on down the road. Is it safe to just use one of the standard attachments on a full-sized vacuum to suck some dust?

And if that's not a high temp, why is pc probe giving me a warning when I hit 45C? Ten degrees past a warning kinda scares me.

Right now, I'm at 50C and climbing. The computer has been off since my last post, and it's only been on long enough for me to check my e-mail, see there was a reply to my post, and write this message. It was 32C when I first turned it on this time. How much of an initial jump is normal? And at what temp should I shut down due to it being unsafe?

Oh, and my CPU temp is reading at 39C right now. Not sure if that's relevant at all, but thought I'd mention it.

RickyTick
09-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I could be wrong, but 45 just doesn't seem all that high to me.

I use a vacuum cleaner for cleaning out my pc. Just be kinda carefull. Be sure to get the fans really good, and get any dirt or dust out of any heatsinks.

The Wise Monkey
09-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Compressed air canisters are quite good as well - get one with a long thin nozzle to clear out tight spaces and fans.